Saturday, September 02, 2006

Bay Area Blogger of the Week #52

Street Art & Food

photograph picture of the the front page of the civic center blog by my friend mike

Until Blogday 2006 about 97% of the blogs I read regularly were food blogs. Blogday helped me discover some non-foodie blogs to read as well and I am looking forward to a slightly less food-obsessed future because of the new sites I have happily discovered. One Bay-area non-food blogger I have been reading since its inception is Civic Center, a subtly snarky blog with attitude, beautifully photographed and written by my very interesting and unique friend Mike. He touches upon food only occasionally, although I can attest to the fact that he makes a mean, tasty lamb stew with anchovies hidden aside. Yum. He caught the foodie part of my eye again this week, by featuring Brian Barneclo's Food Chain Mural on Shotwell between 14th and 15th Streets. If I hadn't have read Michael's blog, I wouldn't even have known about its existance. It's a great piece of artwork, you can check it out in person if you live in the area or follow its progress via Mike's posts 1, 2 and 3 on his blog.

Fred reads Mike's blog too. So when he came home from work and told me that he'd discovered a hilarious blog via Mike, by Beth Spotswood, I could relate because I had been giggling ever since discovering after reading her via Mike as well.

Today Mike also reports on the release of the video blogger, Josh Wolf, who was jailed for not cooperating and handing over, to the police, video evidence of some scufuffles that took place in San Francsico a while back. Even if that story doesn't interest you (which it should), you'll have to laugh at Mike as he awards this woman with "Most Obnoxious Cell-Phone User in Public of September award". Yes, with still 28.5 days to go. Her talents must be quite exceptional, although that kind of behaviour, sadly, too common place in this town...




Charity Event:
Wine, Dine Donate taking place at Michael Minna on September 18th, 2006.
A significant portion of the cost of your dinner goes to help feed America's hungry children.

Next in Line for my Bay Area Blog Roll:
Wit, Wisdom & Food
Sonoma Napa Foodie
Enthusiastic Eater
The Short Exact Guide
Tasty Bytes
Chez Christine
The Grinder: New online Chow magazine blog featuring some well known Bay Area bloggers. Also featuring new-to-me Christy Harrison who I am particularly enjoying due to her ability to take the bull by the horns and ask some questions which are far more thought-provoking than the usual nice-nicey stuff that is expected of the foodblogosphere.

Previously Featured Bay Area Food & Drink Bloggers:

Meathenge | Jennifer Jeffrey | Sex & The Kitchen | Eating Surburbia | Cocktails with Camper English | Bullpen Baker | Cooking With Amy | Knife's Edge | Culinary Muse | Hungrig in SF | Mary Ladd's Food Finds | 2 tasty Ladies | Dessert First | Ms Glaze's Pommes d'Amour | Hedonia | Dive | Sweet Napa | Cupcake Bakeshop | Tea & Cookies | Albion Cooks | Blogher | Bay Area Bites | Hungry Hedonist | Mighty | Chez Pim | The Blue Bottle Clown College | The Novato Experiment | Amuse Bouche | Feeding Fashionistas | All In | Dr Five Pints | SF Gourmet | Small Farms | In Praise of Sardines | Life Begins @ 30 | Gastronomie | Confessions of a Restaurant Whore | Bunny Foot | Sweet & Savory | I'm Mad and I Eat | Yummy Chow | Nosheteria | Vivi's Wine Journal | Epicurian Debauchery | Food Musings | Pfiff | Marga's Food Blog | Where the Wild Things Are | Eggbeater


| | | |
Bay Area Blogger of the Week #52

6 Comments:

  • At 2/9/06 15:19, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Hats off to you, Sam. So you really, really do know Mike? I didn't quite get that from your comment on my Blog Day post.
    This world isn't getting smaller, it's getting bigger and nicer.

     
  • At 2/9/06 19:16, Blogger wheresmymind said…

    Sex and the kitchen...that is pretty damn funny :)

     
  • At 3/9/06 20:26, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the mention! I think the link you have on there for my site is wrong though :)

     
  • At 4/9/06 09:55, Blogger Sam said…

    cookie - let me know when you are back and we can arrange that dinner you mentioned, all 6 of us.

    wmm - it would be funny if he updated it maybe?

    Christine - I fixed it sorry about that.

     
  • At 5/9/06 13:16, Blogger Beth Spotswood said…

    Wahoo! Thank you! That is awesome and made my day.

     
  • At 7/9/06 08:08, Blogger Civic Center said…

    Thank you so much for the shout-out, and please, let's have lunch with ms. cookiecrumb and cranky. Tony should be home from Palm Springs soon, and he no longer works at the Orphanage. I had to return to take care of Miss Tina the Pussy since the cat-sitter flaked out, unlike you, the wonderful dog-sitter. Next up on the blog: "Halloween for Rich Ladies: In other words, Opening Night at the Opera." love and xxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home