Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose 2004

I bought a bottle of this South African wine in order to take part in the global wine tasting known as World Wine Blogging Wednesday this month hosted by Jeanne. Unfortunately, I didn't read the instructions properly. I was meant to buy a South African Red. Well, Rose, is almost red, isn't it? It looks sort of red in the pictures, doesn't it? I hope I will be forgiven, especially when I share the news about how great this particular pink wine turned out to be.



click on the picture to enlarge

On the back label, a number of food matches are suggested:

Delicious with crab cakes, chicken satay, spring rolls with ginger dipping sauce, herb rub roast turkey, ratatouille, fruit glazed pork chops or strawberries and cream.


Monday was a grey, wet day in San Francisco, so I chose to pair the wine with a hot, fresh, homemade ratatouille, topped with fresh basil and toasted pinenuts on a bed of steaming cous cous. As an accompaniment I toasted large slices of levain, dribbled with oil, topped with large slices of garlic and sprinkled with New Maldon sea salt.



click on the picture to enlarge

This time, it's over to Fred, to describe the wine to you...

"It smells, exactly like a rose should smell and it tastes like a pretty good rose too. It tastes really, really good. Perfect, perfect. Rose in Provence is fruity and the smell gives you a clue. This is just like a Rose in Aix, in Provence, it smells like you are right there. It's even better when you taste it, it tastes just like rose in Provence. It has a slight, slight sweetness, but it is not overpowering it tastes pretty dry. And it goes good with the ratatouille. Merci pour ce diner extraordinaire!"


Further details:

13,5% alcohol
$10.99 at K&L where the guy who sold it to me told me "people here who've tried love it and they tell me it's like a big crisp watermelon"
More information about the vineyard here
Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose 2004

1 Comments:

  • At 21/2/05 18:25, Blogger Anthony said…

    Thought I'd pop over and call you a big spizzy and then console you with the fact that I didn't even come close to getting it right with a chenin blanc. Bah!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home