Thursday, May 10, 2007

Spicy Pickled Carrots

From the Happy Girl Kitchen

picture photograph or animated gif 2007 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

I love it when I bump into or meet a friend at the Saturday San Francisco Ferry Building Farmers' market. Instead of taking my own route around the many stalls, if I follow someone else, I might stumble across something new.

That's how Catherine led me to Happy Girl Kitchens and insisted I bought some pickled carrots. Looking back a couple of years, I remembered a post about a Tartine Croque Monsieur that I wrote about in September 2004. This is what I said: "I loved the unusual pickled carrot accompaniment. A not too crunchy, not too soggy, not too carrot-tasting, incredibly hot and spicy pickled carrot. Yum - I need someone to tell me how to make those!"

Of course I never did quite get around to making my own pickled carrots. And now I don't need to - I've found someone who'll do all the hard work for me. Happy Girl Kitchen, welcome to my pantry. I love your spicy, crunchy, healthy pickled carrots, oh yes I do.






© 2007 Sam Breach at "Becks & Posh", becksposhnosh.blogspot.com This RSS Feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this material in your news aggregator, or at the aforementioned url, the site you are looking at might be guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact becks.posh.food.blog[AT]gmail[DOT]com to report any suspected violations. Thank you.
Spicy Pickled Carrots

11 Comments:

  • At 10/5/07 21:51, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Utterly addictive, n'est-ce pas?

     
  • At 11/5/07 00:54, Blogger Beccy said…

    Sounds interesting...

     
  • At 11/5/07 06:36, Blogger sallywrites said…

    I keep trying to imaagine waht these would taste like - and I can't quite get it......

     
  • At 11/5/07 06:45, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love spicy pickled carrots. For those of us who don't live near SF, does anyone have a good recipe?

     
  • At 11/5/07 08:09, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Ah, so that's where this spicy pickled carrot craze is coming from! Very nice.

    [Let me intrude a little here. Mary, I made a jar of pickled vegetables last fall that included carrots. I'm terrible at recipe-writing, but if you read the comments you'll pick up some proportions.]

     
  • At 11/5/07 09:10, Blogger Rory said…

    I love those carrots, but they always disappear way too fast. You should also try their cumin pickled green beans - even more addictive.

     
  • At 11/5/07 10:07, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I lived in LA, my favorite Mexican restaurant served spicy pickled carrots along with tortilla chips before the meal. I honestly ate there just for the carrots. I've been trying to replicate them since moving up north, but to no avail... so I'm incredibly happy to hear that now there's a professional version out there. Can't wait to try it!

     
  • At 11/5/07 10:33, Blogger A Few Reservations said…

    Ooooh! They sound divine!

     
  • At 11/5/07 11:26, Blogger ChrisB said…

    I'm not sure about having carrots pickled I so love mine raw and crunchy.

     
  • At 12/5/07 01:20, Blogger Gemma said…

    Now I'm desperate to find out what these taste like, every time you mention your farmer's market I get very very jealous.

     
  • At 13/5/07 05:57, Blogger Jen said…

    I am not usually a fan of pickled anything although we have a similar type of thing and I have to say that it is addictive. Carrots were meant for pickling!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home