Sunday, April 24, 2005

Shrikand, an aromatic Indian Dessert

photograph picture of my homemade version of indian dessert called Shrikhand

Whilst I have been writing posts on the subject of Indian food over the past week, a memory I'd completely forgotten suddenly came to the fore of my mind. Shrikhand! Somewhere, a long time ago, I don't recall where, I frequented a restaurant where they served this Indian dessert. Recollections of the taste and the texture flooded my thoughts. I had a sudden urge to make some because as well as fitting in with my theme of the week, it was haunting me and the memory of the taste was lingering on my tongue. Plus, most importantly, it is also a delicious shade of pale, golden orange.

The following recipe serves only one so increase measurements appropriately if you would like to serve more people. The recipe is incredibly easy and you can adapt the amount of sugar and cardamom to your own personal taste. I read through a few recipes online, saw how easy it was to do and then went ahead and prepared it, my way, without the aid of reference. I was also able to make it without a trip to the store. I already had everything I needed, you might be able to do the same thing.

photograph picture straining the yoghurt for my homemade version of indian dessert called Shrikhand

First leave 1 cup of yoghurt (I used 2% fat Greek) wrapped in muslin to strain in the fridge for about 12 hours. Wrap the muslin tightly and suspend over a bowl to collect the water (over an 1/8th of a cup will be expelled). When ready, carefully open the muslin and put the strained yoghurt into a bowl.

photograph picture of grinding the saffron for my homemade version of indian dessert called Shrikhand

Gently dry-heat a small frying pan or skillet and toast 1/2 tsp saffron for about 1 minute, just to let the moisture evaporate. Do not cook! Grind the saffron to a fine dust in a pestle and mortar. Measure 1 tsp Rose Water into a tiny bowl and brush the saffron dust into it. Mix together well with a little spoon to make a vivid orange liquid. Beat this into the yoghurt together with 2 tsp sieved powdered (icing) sugar, and 2 pinches of cardamom. When all the ingredients are blended thoroughly return to the refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes before serving, topped with a few slivers of pistachio.

My version uses much less sugar than the traditional recipes. I find that the strength of the flavours and spices makes this little treat so interesting that I don't need any extra sweetness. If you want a sweeter version, just add more sugar, 1 tsp at a time and keep tasting until you have the desired result. The flavour of this unusual dish really does stay with you for a while after eating. It is mesmerising. No wonder that memory had firmly lodged itself in a box somewhere in the back of my mind, waiting for the appropriate moment to burst out and unleash itself on me again.

Indian Curry and Spice Week logo

posted in and and and
Shrikand, an aromatic Indian Dessert

9 Comments:

  • At 24/4/05 11:07, Blogger tanvi said…

    Hey Sam!
    I love shrikhand! I also like making it myself since most ready made version are too sweet. Looks yummy :) I may just have to make some myself, because now I have a craving!

     
  • At 24/4/05 17:02, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm, now that you mention it, I remember making this myself once long ago, from a recipe I found somewhere and promptly lost... I think I made it without saffron (those were the days before I owned any!), but I remember thinking "this is phenomenal - I should make it again!". Well, here's my excuse, and I'll definitely use the saffron this time - thanks for the reminder and the recipe for this fantastic dessert!

     
  • At 25/4/05 05:41, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Sam
    being the Indian cuisine lover that I am, this will go perfectly with our next Indian dish! Just a little while ago, our very nice neighbors gave us little pack of saffron -- it'll be put to good use :)

     
  • At 25/4/05 16:55, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi... My local Indian restaurant doesn't have this particular choice on their menu, so I'll have to try making it myself with the saffron I got for Christmas. In the meantime, I must say I've been really enjoying your Indian themed recipes.

     
  • At 26/4/05 04:34, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yummo. And you have totally won me over with it being a dessert which includes saffron: my favourite spice, my favourite colour and name :)

     
  • At 26/5/05 19:10, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.indian-recipe.net

    Theres a cool site...i saw that shrikhand thing on there too...theres SOO many other recipes on it and they seem to be updating it daily...even tho it says "updated weekly" on it...o well

     
  • At 27/8/06 12:56, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice post. I really liked your description of Shrikhand. I am thoroughbred Gujarati (where Shrikhand is rumored to have originated from) who loves this dessert. Your recipe was simple and effective.
    I would like to add that the yoghurt tastes better if you actually buy your own milk, add a bit of yoghurt and let it ferment into a bowl of yoghurt. The taste somehow is better than buying yoghurt from a supermarket or grocery shop.

     
  • At 19/12/06 00:42, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yum...shrikhand! My absolute favourite indian sweet!! I'd like to give credit to the maharashtrians for coming up with such a delicacy...

     
  • At 3/8/08 16:42, Blogger SteamyKitchen said…

    i wonder what that would taste like as a frozen yogurt!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home