Thursday, September 13, 2007

Figgin Fantastic

Fresh Fig Ice Cream studded with Nature's Rice Krispies

picture photograph image david lebovitz fresh fig ice cream 2007 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

David Lebovitz is a personal friend who gave the ever-transparent me a copy of his latest book, The Perfect Scoop as a gift and here I am touting it for the second time. Since my blog is staunchly non-commercial you can rest assured that the only reason for this free PR is that I figgin love this book. It's magic. And the ice cream I have churned out so far has made me very happy.

I always thought homemade ice cream freezes hard as a brick. Not so David's recipes - they stay positively soft-serve in my freezer. I am not sure if it is the recipe, the ice cream maker, the freezer or my novice touch that's achieving such great consistency. Whatever it is - I like it - and I like his recipe for fresh fig ice cream too.

This particular recipe first caught my eye in the book because of the arresting photograph of it. I had to make some immediately because fig season is now and won't last for long. This ice cream is really jammy and captures the essence of fresh fig perfectly. At first I thought David was bonkers to not sieve out the seeds, but when I tried the result I realised that leaving them in was a genius move. The fig seeds act like nature's rice krispies, giving the rich creamy ice cream a satisfying and contrasting crunch. It finishes it off beautifully - encapsulating full figginess.

This month Ivonne who has created one of the sweetest food blogs in the world, Cream Puffs in Venice, is hosting an event called Sugar High Friday where she asks participants to help her celebrate the glorious fig and I have an inkling I won't be the only entrant to be making this particular recipe.

I am heading off on some travels this weekend, if I am really lucky I might even hook up with David for an ice cream in Paris, but I slightly regret not being in the Bay Area for the rest of my favourite month, produce-wise. Even if the figs are no longer at the market when I get back, I am happy in the knowledge that I have preserved a few of them in an incredible ice cream which I will be able to slowly savour when I return...




PS - The Frenchman loved this ice cream. Damn it.


Local Resources
Figs from Short Night Farm

Archives
2006 | Champagne


© 2007 Sam Breach
Figgin Fantastic

24 Comments:

  • At 13/9/07 23:38, Blogger Dagny said…

    I am all about texture in food. I love that the seeds give an unexpected crunch to your creamy concoction. I was watching some movie recently that explained the clinking of glasses when one drinks; it is so that all five senses are involved. And even though the crunchiness takes place in the mouth, I still like to think of it as the sense of touch.

    As for the fig challenge, you may have already tasted what I like to do with figs at Cookiecrumb's.

     
  • At 14/9/07 00:46, Blogger Beccy said…

    That ice cream sounds delicious Sam, shame it won't travel!

     
  • At 14/9/07 01:02, Blogger Flo Bretzel said…

    Love the idea of Rice Krispies

     
  • At 14/9/07 01:39, Blogger ChrisB said…

    Looks lovey pity we can't taste it!! Looking forward to seeing you -we're getting excited now XX

     
  • At 14/9/07 02:16, Blogger Andreea said…

    mark surpsied me last nigth with DL's lemon ice cream (same source book). loved it! love the book - what a great buy. and will obviously have to give this fig ice cream a try as well.
    enjoy your travels

     
  • At 14/9/07 03:25, Blogger Eileen said…

    We've tried the fig icecream too - and it was wonderful. Have you tried the Watermelon Sorbetto? Also sublime.

     
  • At 14/9/07 06:11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your photography is incredible. I stumbled upon this site and was hooked by the photography. Very inspirational.

     
  • At 14/9/07 07:23, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam, you're tempting me with these ice creams, so I have a practical question: how loud is that machine? The ice cream maker we had at home at my dad's was this noisy thing with the electrical motor rotating loudly, pretty awful.

     
  • At 14/9/07 07:53, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a wonderful time away, Sam! It will be easier to come home knowing you have that ice cream waiting for you.

     
  • At 14/9/07 08:18, Blogger Casey said…

    I love it when cooks I trust report on a recipe from a book I can't work my way through fast enough. Will try the fig ice cream this weekend.
    Happy Trails.

     
  • At 14/9/07 08:36, Blogger Sam said…

    Ced - it is LOUD - I have to confess we live in an open plan loft and Fred was not amused, so I now have to take the machine into the bedroom and close the door for the churning period which is only about 30 minutes.

     
  • At 14/9/07 10:07, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this makes me want to buy an ice cream maker....and the book too of course!

     
  • At 14/9/07 15:27, Blogger Kyla said…

    When I'm in Paris I love going to Le Maison de Fromage. I love that fig ice cream picture too. You know, I never do this but I actually wrote DL a fan email because I was so blown away by his book.

     
  • At 14/9/07 18:22, Blogger Mercedes said…

    I agree, David's book is fab! Also, take comfort in knowing that when figs go out of season, you can use fig jam in the same recipe (I tried it, it works marvelously). Enjoy your travels, and make sure to have some ice cream along the way!

     
  • At 14/9/07 18:48, Blogger Delphine said…

    Fred liked an Icecream?

    Must be an heavenly one!

     
  • At 15/9/07 00:38, Blogger Barbara said…

    I love figs, but have never tried fig ice cream.
    Have a great time on your travels. I look forward to reading more about them. On Tuesday we go to Australia for 2 months. Sun Sun Sun.

     
  • At 15/9/07 15:13, Blogger Kevin Kossowan said…

    Any recipe that can produce soft textured hard ice-cream is valued in our home too.

     
  • At 15/9/07 21:44, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam, thanks for the answer. There's no shortcut to any place worth going, and I guess there's no quiet road there either.

     
  • At 16/9/07 08:20, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well for starters, I'm going to begin a movement to have the word "figgin" added to the accepted English lexicon. I love it!

    And I love the ice cream. I've only ever had fig ice cream once and it was made by one of Toronto's best ice cream shops. The colour of your version reminds me of that one exactly.

    And of course if it's inspired by Mr. David Lebovitz, it has to be good.

    Sam, thanks for your support and for taking part in SHF #35!

     
  • At 18/9/07 09:37, Blogger Kitt said…

    I made my first recipe from "The Perfect Scoop" yesterday, after snagging the book based on your rec.

    Results here.

    Next I'm on a quest for fresh figs to try this one. Thanks!

     
  • At 19/9/07 13:17, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds sooo yummy. Lucky you to get a copy of The Perfect Scoop from David Lebovitz himself :)

     
  • At 20/9/07 14:11, Blogger Cate said…

    Gorgeous photo, Sam!

     
  • At 26/9/07 06:09, Blogger Jeanne said…

    Having just had homemade brie, fig and Parma ham sandwiches for lunch I am all for singing the praises of the wonderful fig! This ice cream sounds glorious - may have to try it before all the figs disappear again...

     
  • At 14/9/08 02:17, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Goood Job! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home