Sunday, January 16, 2005

Chef's Market Wine & Tapas Bar - E Street - Davis - CA

Chef's Market Wine & Tapas Bar - 117 E Street - Davis - CA 95616 - (530) 756 6888
Visit the Chef's Market website here



Click on the photo to enlarge

Hunger usually gets in the way of traveling back and forth to Tahoe from San Francisco, a journey that might average 4 or 5 hours. Strip malls alongside the freeways host huge signs promising chain versions of burgers, pizzas, Tacos and other such unappetizing foodstuffs. As for me, I prefer to dive a short distance off the freeway into the lively little University town of Davis, not far from Sacramento, to find a spot to eat.



Click on the photo to enlarge

Chef's Market lured us in with promises of Panini and Tapas. Unfortunately they only do the Tapas on Friday and Saturday evenings so I chose a Panini instead. They were out of my first choice, prosciutto, but when I saw the delicious looking, rare roast beef sitting in the deli counter, I knew it had to be my choice of filling.



Click on the photo to enlarge

Panini Speciali New York Rare roast beef with creamy gorgonzola and pinenut spread, tomato and baby greens, grilled on Foccacia al Rosmarino $6.95

Despite fresh looking ingredients, the sandwich failed to enthrall. Grilled then served warm with tortilla chips, the filling unfortunately didn't have enough flavour to draw itself out from under the bread. It was a decent but ordinary sandwich, when I was hoping for something a bit special.



Click on the photo to enlarge

My friend rejected a panini in favour of a couple of small tastes from the deli. I tried the mushroom which was light, with a tasty marinade. She wouldn't let me try the mozzarella, however, because she was certain it was off.



Click on the photo to enlarge

The Chef's Market is a quick, well-meaning place to stop for some chow. The displays of wines, cold meats, cheeses and deli items suggest you might be for an extraordinary treat, but the results are a little more pedestrian than you might hope for. Counter service only.
Chef's Market Wine & Tapas Bar - E Street - Davis - CA

2 Comments:

  • At 16/1/05 12:19, Blogger Pink Poppy said…

    Ya' know...your site is REALLY bad for my diet. I am going to HAVE to go get something (inferior to your offerings here, for sure) to eat! Aaaarrggghh...LOL!

     
  • At 11/5/06 14:42, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with you. I got very excited by the look of the place, but the food was mediocre at best. For the price I would expect gourmet and fresh. Instead I got plastic jug dressing and processed chicken. Not cool.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home