Thursday, July 06, 2006

Lemony Yoghurt

St Benoit's Newest Flavour - Lemon Yoghurt

photograph picture st benoit french style artisinal yogurt with lemon
A few months ago when I awarded St Benoit with The Best Place To Dip Your Spoon in the 2nd Annual Independent food Festival, I hinted that they were developing a new flavour which I was lucky enough to get a sneak preview of.

Had I not been given that complimentary sample, I don't think I would have ever tried St Benoit's Lemon Yoghurt because I consider myself much more of a plain yoghurt kind of girl. Additionally, lemon in yoghurt just sounds a little bit bizarre to me. And in reality it is bizarre. The mixture curdles and clumps, it has an almost mealy texture because of the fine traces of zest. It clots, it curdles, it has liquid and pulp as well rich little nodules of cream on the surface. It almost looks ugly.

But I tell you what... This is proof you should never judge a book by its cover. I absolutely love this lemon yoghurt, it is inexplicably good. The lemon is not too sweet or too tart. It's subtle and muted yet zingy and fresh. In fact, the flavour reminds me of Schweppes Bitter Lemon, a favourite European mixer soda that I don't seem to be able to find in the US. I love it.

What else can I say? In compelling you to give it a try, perhaps I am asking you to take a blind leap of faith. If you are brave enough to jump I hope you feel as satisfied with this yoghurt as I do, when you come back down to earth.




Archive Alert! On this day in 2005: 2003 Vintage Coonawarra Majella Sparkling Shiraz



And on this day in 2004: Restaurant Pizza "La Gioconda", Paris


| | | | |
Lemony Yoghurt

13 Comments:

  • At 6/7/06 11:55, Blogger Dolores said…

    It is also divine with a handful of fresh blueberries or strawberries folded in.

     
  • At 6/7/06 12:04, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just discovered this flavour and absolutely love it!

     
  • At 6/7/06 12:29, Blogger Unknown said…

    Mmm, my grandma used to make something awfully like that! Sounds heavenly.

     
  • At 6/7/06 16:07, Blogger Catherine said…

    I've been wanting to try St Benoit for a while, but Mollie Stone's in Marin is always sold out! Thanks for the link - I'll have to try Woodlands.

    I love lemon yogurt so I will be looking for this!

     
  • At 6/7/06 16:10, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Schweppes bitter lemon - a favorite of mine and a requirement for mixing an appropriate Pimm's Cup - is available at Beverages & More. They carry the small bottles in 6-pack form, at least in San Diego. I have been told, although it might not be correct, that the blend is only made a couple times a year for sale. When I see it I get 12 6-packs at a time. It is also very good for an upset tummy.

     
  • At 6/7/06 20:14, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I used to love Schwepp's Bitter lemon when I was a kid (here in the US). But I only had it at British friends' houses, so maybe they had a secret source. I don't see it a lot here that's for sure...

    Thanks for the tip on BevMo, Maureen!

     
  • At 6/7/06 23:03, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Where have you been? I've been eating this since late May when I first picked up the new Meyer Lemon one. It's my favorite flavor - Strawberry has fallen to second.

    I have a huge collection of those canisters they come in now. At least they're not as heavy as the Strauss milk bottles.

     
  • At 7/7/06 06:25, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh, bitter lemon!
    i've been searching for that for months now in NYC, you'd think it would be easy to find... anyone have any hints?

     
  • At 7/7/06 14:50, Blogger Anne said…

    Is there any way to get St Benoit's in Los Angeles? I'm aching to try some!!

     
  • At 7/7/06 16:51, Blogger Sam said…

    CC - i think i would enjoy raspberries the most

    alison - I am happy I am not the only one

    garrett - it is!

    Catherine - I will try and get you one tomorrow )do they sell it in the Marin farmers market maybe - i will check)

    Maureen - thanks for the Bevmo tip which i will certainly be checking out.

    Diane - let me know if you come across any, thanks! Bevmo usually has a good range of Brit chocolate but I cant say i ever checked for bitter lemon specifically.

    Jack - well I first tried it a long time ago when they were still developing the flavour, but tardy me took a bit of a while to get round to writing it up, that's all! I had to let you get your fill before everyone else started cottoning on to it, no?

    Ann - do you have Bevmo in NYC? Maybe online?

    Denzylle - love M&S, miss M&S, would give anything for an M&S lemon cheesecake or cheese and celery sandwich right now. *sigh*

    Tokyoastrogirl - I could try and mail you some, maybe? do you think it would work??


    Mary - you can get this at the farmers market in SF (Ferry Building). at the made in France sale you will find La Fermiere and les petits suisses which are both good too, though not as local, sustainable or artisinal as our beloved St Benoit. French though! the yoghurts sell out really fast!

     
  • At 8/7/06 07:04, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lucky girl teasing with these yogurts. I have always loved lemon and yogurt, even when it curds!

     
  • At 10/7/06 11:56, Blogger Anne said…

    Sam- what a kind and generous offer. I don't want to put you through any trouble!!! I am actually planning visit my in-laws in Marin in less than 2 weeks so I think I will go in search of the yogurt. Thank you so much again- I'm constantly impressed with how kind, honest and passionate you are. After all, you're one of the most "famous" food bloggers out there but you're so down to earth and always so helpful.

    Anyway, just wanted to let you know what many people probably think!!

     
  • At 11/7/06 07:32, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to admit, this is the first post where I just haven't been all that excited by the subject matter. In general I am not a yogurt fan, and while you did make a case for this lemon variety, I am afraid it hasn't won me over quite yet...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home