Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Raita with Eggs

inspired by Quick Indian Cooking

2006 photograph picture recipe for poached eggs with raita from the quick indian cooking blog

A while back I discovered a London-based blog called Quick Indian Cooking which I quickly took a shine to. Mallika, whose blog it is, is feisty, opinionated and proud of her Indian roots. She is a one woman crusade to spread the word about what constitutes good Indian food in a country (England) awash with pale imitations of the real thing.

I love cooking Indian food, but for me it is largely an epic affair involving days in the kitchen. Millika's blog, which emphasises easy preparations, now gives me the chance to learn how spice up my kitchen without spending hours slaving over a hot stove.

A month ago I read Millika's recipe for Raita with Eggs and I was hooked. It's one of those recipes where I have all the ingredients in the house at all times. Eventually, last Friday, when I was working from home because I was sick, I had the chance to try it out it. Because I was eating solo, I reduced the volume of spices and oil in the recipe and used a poached egg instead of boiled. The result was fragrant and aromatic, with enough oomph to perk up my head-cold-addled tastebuds. If you love Indian spices, curry leaves, yoghurt and eggs, be sure to give this one a try...







| | |
Raita with Eggs

12 Comments:

  • At 14/11/06 10:26, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for pointing out Mallika's blog. It looks like a real treasure.

     
  • At 14/11/06 12:53, Blogger Acme Instant Food said…

    I adore Indian food but my knowledge of its preparation is very limited. Thanks for sharing this link!

     
  • At 14/11/06 20:05, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Bee-yoo-ti-full.
    I can just imagine my homemade yogurt with this. (Last time: Clover Organic Whole Milk; next time TJ's whole milk, which is said to be made from Straus milk, but I don't know if it's Jersey.)
    Thanks for the link.

     
  • At 14/11/06 20:56, Blogger krista said…

    I am not too familiar with Indian food but this dish sounds interesting.

     
  • At 14/11/06 20:57, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you! I had found Mallika's blog awhile back, but foolishly forgot to bookmark it. I'd been searching, so hurrah!

     
  • At 14/11/06 23:05, Blogger Dagny said…

    I think I may have to expand my reading list. Thanks for the link.

     
  • At 15/11/06 04:41, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the link, Sam. Like yours, my Indian cooking is usually an all day affair, with dinner arriving at the table sometime after 10 p.m. I love it, though, and would be thrilled to do it "quickly!"

     
  • At 15/11/06 08:53, Blogger LERA said…

    Hi, This is a very nutritious fare with simple ingredients. your food picture is superb.

     
  • At 15/11/06 22:47, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm like you. Love Indian cooking but only do it when I have heaps of time to go all out. Thanks so much for the link

     
  • At 16/11/06 10:34, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is quite a deluge of Indian blogs these days which showcases regional Indian home cuisine. Here's a great list from the really good Indian food blog Mahanandi:
    http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/about/mahanandifood-blog-list/

     
  • At 21/11/06 08:25, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just tried a similar Turkish dish at 'Providores' in London. Seemed fairly simple to make and as someone else said - the ingredients are all usually there. This dish and greek yoghurt, chilli butter (which can be made at home) and poached eggs.
    Nice change!

     
  • At 7/2/07 17:09, Blogger www.ifoods.tv said…

    i work for a billionaire as his private chef and he wanted soe indian tonight. I have cooked plenty before but came accross this recipe and it was a winner, he loved it! He is one of the top ten richest men in the world so if it's good enough for him!!! Check out some of my recipes for billionaires on my site!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home