Sunday, March 13, 2005

Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store - North Beach - San Francisco

Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store 566 Columbus Ave San Francisco CA 94133 415 362-0536

When I first moved to San Francisco I lived in North Beach for a year and a half. Although I think I must have visited almost every eating spot in the area, I've never written about any of them on my blog. A few weeks ago I had a hankering for my old haunts and I dragged Fred over to San Francisco's version of Italy for a leisurely afternoon brunch.

review Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store North Beach San Francisco
A rare moment: Mario's bar is empty. Two minutes later it was jam-packed full.

Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store no longer has anything to do with cigars and everything to do with people watching, toasted sandwiches, coffees and tumblers of cheap wine. It's the kind of place you can dine alone and still feel comfortable. I used to come here by myself with a magazine or a book, prop myself up at the bar, linger over a latte and watch the world go by.

Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store North Beach San Francisco

Fred tried one of the famous meatball, swiss cheese, onions, marinara sandwiches on toasted focaccia $8.25.

Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store North Beach San Francisco

I was yearning for my old favourite. Grilled Chicken #1 with dijon mustard, pepper jack cheese and onions, $8.50.

Our sandwiches were a little bit dry and overcooked, on this visit. The mustard was just as good and spicy as I remembered. The pickled green pepper garnish, always my favourite thing on the plate, was just as addictive as ever.

We were drinking a cheap red wine. They served it in glass tumblers. In a surprise move, the waiter came over and topped up our glasses for free. Thanks Mario's!

Chouquet's
Chouquets is a new French restaurant in Pacific heights. Read my Chowhound review here.
Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store - North Beach - San Francisco

2 Comments:

  • At 15/3/05 10:55, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice Pics. I used to live on those sandwiches when I moved to North Beach 12 years ago. Not so much anymore, but thanks for reminding me of those delicious panini. Keep up the good work. I've bookmarked your blog, and have been checking it often.

     
  • At 7/9/09 06:36, Anonymous Allen Baker said…

    Really the pictures of the sandwiches will bring water in anyones mouth.The name as it suggests has nothing to do with cigars but it has various delicacies that could bind foodlovers to visit the store very often.But if the store serves some world class cigars like Cuban Cigars , definitely its customer base will increase to a greater extent. Atleast the name will be justified if various brands of Cigars wil be available.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home