Sunday, December 26, 2004

Christmas Dinner 2004 - The Menu

Fred and I were joined last night by 8 wonderful International friends, all without family in San Francisco, for a long and leisurely Christmas Dinner. Backgrounds were diverse - Australia, Germany, America, Korea, Honk Kong and, of course, France and England.

Christmas means different things to different people and I certainly didn't want to force a traditional English Christmas Dinner down anyone's throat. Instead, I attempted to create a dinner full of delicious, luxurious tastes that I hoped everyone would enjoy.

There were 8 courses, each with their own beverage pairing. Click on the picture to enlarge and check out the menu.


I will be writing about some of these courses in more detail over the next few weeks.


The table is set for dinner. Christmas Crackers were a novelty for most of my guests (I can't break with tradition completely). I managed to find them in the British Grocery Store in San Francisco's Protrero Hill.

I asked readers to try and guess where I bought my Foie Gras for the Christmas dinner. The answer was Neiman Marcus. About a dozen people got the answer right. I wrote down the names of all of the correct entrants on slips of paper. Fred drew the winner, Alder from Vinography who will be receiving a copy of Schott's Food & Drink Miscellany from me next year. Congratulations!
Christmas Dinner 2004 - The Menu

3 Comments:

  • At 26/12/04 19:25, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YAY! It's been ages since I won anything! What a gorgeous spread you had there for dinner. And thanks for letting us on to the source for Christmas crackers! We were looking for them all over for our thanksgiving dinner (long story).

    Alder

     
  • At 27/12/04 17:56, Blogger Ced said…

    this looks amazing, both the menu and the table.
    Question: where do you find vin jaune and banyuls? I am desperately looking for Banyuls, and I could use some vin jaune.

     
  • At 27/12/04 18:54, Blogger Sam said…

    Hi Ced
    I got most of my wine, including the Vin Jaune and the Banyuls at K&L on 4th Street in San Francisco. Check out their website here

    Vin Jaune was $64.99 and nobody cared for it much
    Banyuls, which everyone loved, was $17.99 for a half bottle.

    The only wine we didn't get from K&L was the Sauternes which we got at the Ferry Plaza Wine Merchants.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home