Saturday, January 21, 2006

Bay Area Blogger of the Week # 29





Just before Christmas, out of the blue, I recieved an email from a reader of my blog called Jennifer who had 2 extra seats on a French Laundry invitation. She wondered if Fred and I like might to fill them. Unfortunately, the reservation was early (5pm) and I was working overtime hours that week, miles from Napa, in the City, so we had to decline the kind invitation.

Something good did come out of the correspondance, however. I discovered that Jennifer's favorite hobby is dining out. I also found out she enjoys photographing food and writing about it. "So do you have a blog?", I asked? "I do", she admitted. And that is how I came to discover The Hungry Hedonist, a beautiful, dining site, with gorgeous pictures.

Jennifer is only 19. She is an undergrad at the School of Hotel Administration of Cornell University in New York and mainly updates her blog when she goes on breaks or when she is back home in San Francisco. (Adding that she does not "eat things worth blogging much during college".)

Her recent reviews include Farallon in which she dwells a little on the beautiful floating jelly fish hanging from the ceiling, Naan and Curry (a longtime favourite of myself and Fred too) and Medicine Eatstation, which she doesn't have much too good to say about. (A restaurant for masochists, anyone?)

Check out Jennifer and her hungry, hedonistic ways. Please say hello...





Links, Resources and Further Reading

Bay Area Resources:
San Francisco Dining | at Farallon
Dining for Masochists? | Medicine Eatstation
Medicine Eatstation | Previously blogged by Amy
You've been Yelped | Naan & Curry

Other Resources:
Study with Jennifer | at Cornell University

Daily weight loss, weightwatchers and diet notes:
Yesterday was a horrible WW day. We went out for lunch and I tried to be good. I had a simple pork skewer. It wasn't until I got back to my desk to track my points, I discovered my tiny lunch had cost me 9.5 points. A chicken skewer would have been less than half the damage. I've learnt my lesson about those pigs, let me tell you. Come the evening I only had 7.5 points left - hardly enough to allow for the fact that on Friday nights, we always go out to Cafe Bastille, Fred's favourite French restaurant. We usually take a taxi so we don't have to count drinks but last night I drove to make sure I wouldn't be able to consume more than two glasses of anything. I started with a glass of champagne and then hoped to feast on a dozen oysters (only 2 points) sent over to our table from neighbouring eatery, Plouf. Unfortunately they were out of oysters, so I took a Bastille tuna tartare instead. One glass of red wine and then two pots of Earl grey tea to sip on whilst everyone else enjoyed complimentary cognacs, left me only half a point over target by the end of the night. I think I did good in the end, considering the little pork faux pas.(And we saved about $25 in taxi fees!)

Previously Featured Bay Area Food & Drink Bloggers:
Mighty | Chez Pim | The Blue Bottle Clown College | The Novato Experiment | Amuse Bouche | Feeding Fashionistas | All In | Dr Five Pints | SF Gourmet | Small Farms | In Praise of Sardines | Life Begins @ 30 | Gastronomie | Confessions of a Restaurant Whore | Bunny Foot | Sweet & Savory | I'm Mad and I Eat | Yummy Chow | Nosheteria | Vivi's Wine Journal | Epicurian Debauchery | Food Musings | Pfiff | Marga's Food Blog | Where the Wild Things Are | Eggbeater


Archive Alert! On this date in 2005: Sam goes to gay traffic school!


| | | |
Bay Area Blogger of the Week # 29

8 Comments:

  • At 21/1/06 15:22, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You'll be pleased to know I visited jennifer's blog

     
  • At 21/1/06 17:03, Blogger Hungry Hedonist said…

    Sam, thanks for such a glowing description of my blog--you're very kind. I've been enjoying your WW posts. Keep up the progress and mm, pork skewers.

     
  • At 21/1/06 18:09, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    How cool is this. First, for Jennifer sharing (or offering to) her reservation at TFL. Second, for Sam promoting another blogger. (Without your publicity on my behalf, I'd probably be gathering cobwebs in a corner somewhere, love... but madly still blogging away!) Third, whoa, Sam's mum has been there to see Jennifer's stuff. Well, so have I!

     
  • At 21/1/06 21:16, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam -

    What I have loved about the Flex Plan with WW is that you can use extra points throughout the week as you see fit.

    Also, you can "earn" extra points for activities. A brisk walk or some housework will earn you extra food points.

     
  • At 22/1/06 05:43, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. Funny coincidence too, two friends had invited us to the French Laundry for a dinner on Jan 22d and we could not go! Luckily they found 2 other people to go with them, otherwise, the fee to cancel is HUGE in my eyes anyway!

     
  • At 22/1/06 13:45, Blogger Sam said…

    thank you mum for your support

    jennifer - the pleasure was mine - look forward to your future adventures

    CookieC thank you for the kind words. I know I usually have something more witty to say to you, but right now you've turned me to sentimental mush !

    Fatemeh
    Since i did it 3 years ago they have added the extra 35 points a week instead of trying to collect them for special occasions. this is a much better idea. I am looking forward to getting a bit more into exercise, though don't expect to see me do any house work anytime soon!

    Bea - I didn't know there was a cancellation fee. You'll have to expound further!

     
  • At 22/1/06 23:47, Blogger Joy said…

    I found Jennifer on my own last week when doing a search for myself ("restaurant whore" -- which she had in her description text) and was pleased to discover that she was attending my alma mater! Apparently, Cornell is good at teaching what to eat:)...

     
  • At 23/1/06 06:58, Blogger Sam said…

    Hi Joy - I noticed that you had discovered Jennifer as well. I hope you had a great Birthday. Maybe we'll get to hear some Vegas stories, or maybe you just had the weekend off from working.

    Sam

     

Post a Comment

<< Home