Monday, August 18, 2008

The Omnivore’s Hundred

A Meme With Very Good Taste

picture photograph image of some of the foods I have eaten from Omnivore's 100 meme 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/
How the Omnivore's 100 Works:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.

2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.

3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

4) Optional: Post a comment at Very Good Taste, linking to your results.


78/100 My Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison [blogged]

2. Nettle tea

3. Huevos rancheros [blogged]

4. Steak tartare [flickrd]

5. Crocodile [only alligator]

6. Black pudding [blogged]

7. Cheese fondue [blogged]

8. Carp

9. Borscht

10. Baba ghanoush

11. Calamari [blogged]

12. Pho

13. PB&J sandwich

14. Aloo gobi [blogged]

15. Hot dog from a street cart

16. Epoisses

17. Black truffle [blogged]

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes

19. Steamed pork buns

20. Pistachio ice cream

21. Heirloom tomatoes [blogged]

22. Fresh wild berries

23. Foie gras [blogged]

24. Rice and beans

25. Brawn or head cheese [blogged]

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper

27. Dulce de leche [blogged]

28. Oysters [blogged]

29. Baklava [blogged]

30. Bagna cauda [Why on earth haven't I tried this yet?]

31. Wasabi peas

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl [only in a regular bowl]

33. Salted lassi [blogged]

34. Sauerkraut [blogged]

35. Root beer float [Tried plain root beer. It didn't float my boat.]

36. Cognac with a fat cigar [That's a memory!]

37. Clotted Cream Tea [flickrd]

38. Vodka Jelly/Jell-O [I've made both!]

39. Gumbo [blogged]

40. Oxtail [blogged]

41. Curried goat [curry: yes, goat: yes, together: not yet]

42. Whole insects

43. Phaal

44. Goat's milk [In butter, yogurt & ice cream: yes. But not just as milk]

45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth $120 or more

46. Fugu

47. Chicken tikka masala [blogged]

48. Eel

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

50. Sea urchin

51. Prickly pear

52. Umeboshi

53. Abalone [blogged]

54. Paneer [blogged]

55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal

56. Spaetzle

57. Dirty gin martini

58. Beer above 8% ABV

59. Poutine [Available in SF here]

60. Carob chips

61. S’mores [blogged]

62. Sweetbreads [blogged]

63. kaolin [unless trying mud pies counts?]

64. Currywurst

65. Durian

66. Frogs’ legs

67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake

68. Haggis

69. Fried plantain

70. Chitterlings or andouillette

71. Gazpacho [blogged]

72. Caviar and blini [blogged]

73. Louche absinthe [flickrd]

74. Gjetost or brunost

75. Roadkill

76. Baijiu

77. Hostess Fruit Pie

78. Snail

79. Lapsang Souchong

80. Bellini

81. Tom Yum

82. Eggs Benedict [blogged]

83. Pocky

84. 3 Michelin Star Tasting Menu [No, but I've done a 2 star]

85. Kobe beef [blogged]

86. Hare

87. Goulash [possibly the first 'foreign' recipe I ever made back when I was a teen.]

88. Flowers [blogged]

89. Horse

90. Criollo chocolate

91. Spam

92. Soft shell crab

93. Rose harissa [only had regular harissa, must correct this]

94. Catfish

95. Mole poblano

96. Bagel and lox

97. Lobster Thermidor

98. Polenta [blogged]

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

100. Snake






QUESTION OF THE DAY graphic copyright sam breach
?How many of the Omnivore's Top 100 Have you Tried?

Local Resources
All photographs in the Omnivore's 100 montage pictured above were taken by Sam Breach except for the 'Chicken Dippa Masala' which was photographed by T Shane Gilman.

Archives
2005 | Seven Sisters Cheese Puffs

© 2008 Sam Breach
The Omnivore’s Hundred

21 Comments:

  • At 18/8/08 06:27, Blogger Beccy said…

    Very few...I don't know what half of them are!

     
  • At 18/8/08 07:11, Blogger Johannah said…

    Maybe half. Although I question the authenticity of some of those I have tried. I think I would eat almost all of this, and would count myself lucky to have had the chance. But the whole insects? Um... Not so sure.
    Love the blog. Thanks

     
  • At 18/8/08 08:19, Blogger ChrisB said…

    I recognise the picture of the venison!

     
  • At 18/8/08 09:03, Blogger Mooshud said…

    Wow thank you, i've done the meme too in my journal. Too much to try !

     
  • At 18/8/08 09:52, Blogger mochi from mars said…

    I surprisingly have tried a lot more of what's on this list than I thought! Insects? Already tried that...the first time was by accident (ants in my potato chip bag when I was a kid), the second was not by accident (someone brought home some prepared larvae from Thailand in high school, and we were all curious), and the third was definitely not by accident. It was pretty close to my last night in Japan and we were celebrating Bon Odori with friends, and our host came out with some crickets cooked in soy sauce. He wouldn't have been offended if we didn't try any, but being filled with good Japanese beer will give anyone liquid courage, and by the end of the night I had consumed most of the delectable morsels. :)

    Love the blog, Sam! It should help me get along as I transition in to life here in San Francisco (I start at California Culinary Academy today)!

     
  • At 18/8/08 15:00, Blogger Kyla said…

    88! Though it occurs to me I've swallowed flies and mosquitoes by accident while bicycling.

     
  • At 18/8/08 22:54, Blogger Delphine said…

    79! And I'm not a foodie. It's funny you blog this I just made the list for myself. I was lucky with this list though, I traveleld just enough in Eastern Europe and India to have tasted most of it.

    Rereading it I don't see any African food (maffé someone? Couscous?)

    I laughed because I realized can eat ants or snails or frogs but I was never able to try a mouthfull of Krispy Kreme or Hostess pie. It doesn't look like food to me.

     
  • At 19/8/08 01:51, Blogger Flo Bretzel said…

    What a funny game! I'm going to study this list very carefully.

     
  • At 19/8/08 12:22, Blogger beerandnosh said…

    82/100. Not too bad. I feel like I've had a lot of these this week!

    http://beerandnosh.com/2008/08/the-omnivore’s-hundred/

     
  • At 19/8/08 20:11, Blogger Leslie Pave said…

    That was fun, thanks Sam. Almost met your 78, but stopped at 76.

     
  • At 20/8/08 14:55, Blogger Manger La Ville said…

    In my food classes, they would give us list to see how much we have tried, a lot of them regional American specialties. I think it would be fun to create a food bucket list.

     
  • At 20/8/08 23:00, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've tried 72 of them..hey, I'm old. :)

     
  • At 21/8/08 08:12, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah you better get on that snake thing!

     
  • At 21/8/08 08:14, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whoa I went back a counted! I'm at 75!

     
  • At 21/8/08 10:38, Blogger Alejandra Ramos said…

    Oh fun! Can't wait to try this one out.

     
  • At 21/8/08 12:02, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How fun... actually, I've eaten quite a few of the things on the list. I'll have to get my husband to go through the list also...

    Eileen (passions to pastry)
    www.livingtastefully.com

     
  • At 24/8/08 00:06, Blogger Penny Pink said…

    28! ha, i haven't lived!

    tried a lot of red wine though.

     
  • At 26/8/08 23:25, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I do believe you have me beat.

     
  • At 28/8/08 09:20, Blogger Saucy Joe Sullivan said…

    Hi Sam,
    Alas, I feel like such an amateur when it came to this list! At least I have something to aspire to!! Saucy Joes List

     
  • At 4/9/08 08:26, Blogger Jeanne said…

    Wow - we are not worthy, oh Great Omnivore Sam! My measly 58 is beginning to look quite sad... Very impressed with your far-ranging palate :)

     
  • At 27/9/08 09:44, Blogger FJKramer said…

    I've done many, but not all, but I am humbled that there were some I had to google or check wikipedia to figure out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home