Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Short Season Apricot:

Candy Cot - I like them a lot

picture photograph candy cot ALT 2009 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

Small, sweet and perfectly balanced with a tinge of acid and a blush of pink freckles. I picked up these apricots last Saturday from the San Francisco Farmers' Market at the Ferry Building. I didn't make a note of the farmer's name, but I can tell you they cost $5 a tray. I've heard rumours that the apricot season is going to be short this year. If you are an apricot fan, don't let it slip you by.




PS - This box is tiny (and very cute). Each apricot is smaller than a golf ball.

Archives
2008 | Purse-sized Poco Dolce Tiles
2005 | Edible Borage Flowers


© 2009 Sam Breach
Short Season Apricot:

12 Comments:

  • At 16/6/09 09:04, Blogger Jocelyn:McAuliflower said…

    Ooo Ooo! Apricot season!

    Do you have any special plans for them (besides devouring them over a sink)?

     
  • At 16/6/09 09:08, Blogger Sam said…

    I've been topping my daily bowl of yoghurt with them. No need for sugar or honey and the bowl has been catching the juices. Smacks lips...

     
  • At 16/6/09 11:43, Blogger ChrisB said…

    We never see lovely looking apricots like that in our shops.

     
  • At 16/6/09 11:55, Blogger Sam said…

    It's not from a shop, mum, that's why. It's direct from the farmer at the market.

     
  • At 16/6/09 17:03, Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said…

    purdy!

     
  • At 16/6/09 20:45, Anonymous alison said…

    lovely, aren't they. i picked up some too!

     
  • At 16/6/09 20:59, Anonymous San Francisco Photos said…

    Wow! I'm really missing out. That is such a great deal for those apricots. I should really think about going to the farmers market at the Ferry Building again. Especially since I'm trying to add more fruit in my diet again.

     
  • At 16/6/09 22:26, Blogger Sam said…

    this is a great time of year for local fruit. Strawberries, cherries, apricots, peaches, nectarines...

    it's a bounty!

     
  • At 17/6/09 10:19, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam--the farm name is on the box. Candy Cot Fruit Co. More info about them can be found here
    http://www.cuesa.org/markets/farmers/farm_17.php

    Christine (from CUESA)

     
  • At 19/6/09 07:55, Blogger Sam said…

    Hi Christine - thanks for the info - the company name isn't on my box- I checked before writing the article and I have just double checked again. Maybe they have two different types of boxes. It isn't clear to me if Candy Cot is the name of the Company or a type of apricot.

     
  • At 16/7/09 08:52, Blogger La Tartine Gourmande said…

    Yum Sam. These look delicious. Apricots are such a delicate fruit, so difficult to find right, I feel.

     
  • At 25/7/09 04:20, Anonymous James said…

    In North America, apricot season usually begins mid-May and continues into August. Novel fruits, like Angelcot and Black Velvet, are part of the Proprietary Class of tree ripened fresh fruits, so the season for this class of fruits is even shorter.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home