Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Cup of Local Breakfast

Eat Local Challenge Day 15
(Read What & Why I am Doing This Here)


picture photograph image all local ingredients 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/


Breakfast Day 15
Porridge made from wheat berries [source Eatwell Farm], Plain Yogurt [source: St Benoit], stewed Bramley Apple [source: Philo Apple Farm] with Sage Honey [source: Marshall's] and a little salt.

Lunch Day 15
Lunched with work colleagues at Mediterranean Delite. I have no idea where the food comes from, it might be locally sourced, it might not be, so I stick to vegetarian when I eat there. Their falafel do taste quite wonderful.

Dinner Day 15
Leftover Aubergine Bake [see local ingredient details in previous post], Latkes made with potato [source: Green Gulch], courgettes [source: can't remember], egg [source: Eatwell] and Bacon [source: Fatted Calf], tomato Ketchup [source: June Taylor], Salt & Pepper.

Drinks Day 14
Tap Water, Calistoga Sparkling Water, Sparkling Wine [source: Gloria Ferrer], Tea (1 Cup + 1 pot)



Code:
100% Local ingredient
Local Artisan using mostly local ingredients
Local Artisan using non-local ingredients
Californian
Totally Un-local
Pre-declared exempt
Restaurants which focus on local produce





© 2008 Sam
A Cup of Local Breakfast

10 Comments:

  • At 16/10/08 10:59, Blogger Rachelle said…

    Any chance you'll post the recipe for your wonderful-looking breakfast porridge? I need something new to do with my Full Belly Farm and Massa wheatberries!

     
  • At 16/10/08 14:42, Blogger Economic Analyst said…

    You rank 268,010 of bloggers in the world. There are 3.4 million in the USA alone! WOW!

     
  • At 16/10/08 15:39, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a pain in the ass you must be...how I would love to bury my face in your lap...

     
  • At 16/10/08 23:11, Blogger Sam said…

    Hey Rachelle - it's nothing fancy. I really like my 'porridge' to be made with water not milk. So I just (very) roughly/coarsly grind the wheatberries [half a cup for 5 days worth] and then simmer in about 3 cups of water for about 30-45 minutes until tender. I cook that amount and it lasts me 5 days. Before heating I stir in a little more water to loosen and sometimes apple sauce. I don't like hot milk, so I dollop a couple of heaped teaspoons of good plain yoghurt on top and stir it in (honey too), for the result I like. Makes it creamy and just the right temperature to eat. Hope that helps

    sam

     
  • At 17/10/08 01:53, Blogger ChrisB said…

    sam that's yummy looking b'fast x

     
  • At 17/10/08 05:46, Blogger Rachelle said…

    Thanks, Sam. One other thing... How do you "coarsely chop or grind" your wheat berries?

     
  • At 17/10/08 11:27, Blogger Sam said…

    Rachelle - I have a grain mill attachment for my Kitchen Aid - and I use that on the very coarsest setting. I confess I haven't tried any other way - I am wondering if a coffee grinder would work too? I guess these grains are pretty hard. I do have a photo somewhere of how they look when coarse ground. I will try and dig it out.

     
  • At 17/10/08 18:15, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    I would like to add a note for Rachelle. I like to eat Full Belly wheat berries cooked whole for breakfast, dosed with honey and yogurt. Juicy. We cook them in a mini crockpot. We let them soak overnight in water with a pinch of salt, and then turn on the pot early in the morning. Takes a few hours. Silly, I know.

    BTW, who are those assy commenters?

     
  • At 26/10/08 08:27, Blogger Rachelle said…

    Thanks for the info, Sam. I confess, I haven't tried it yet (too hot right now for hot cereal, so I've been stuck with just local yogurt and granola), but I think I may try using my Vitamix blender to grind the grains, as I don't yet have the grain grinder attachment for my KitchenAid. Keep up the good work on the Eat Local Challenge... I'm doing it as well, and your ideas are inspiring. Love your site!! ~R

     
  • At 26/10/08 13:30, Blogger Rachelle said…

    Thanks to you too, Cookiecrumb! I am in the habit of soaking all of my grains overnight in a combination of water and yogurt whey to make them more digestible. I used to make steel cut oats in the crockpot (overnight on low) with walnuts, currants, a dash of cinnamon and honey... delish! However I haven't done it in awhile and, silly me, I never thought to combine the two methods. Thanks for the reminder. ~R

     

Post a Comment

<< Home