Monday, May 12, 2008

Things I'd Like to Share

picture photograph image yellow lemon bar from Alice Medrich's pure Desserts made in honor of Barbara Harris at for Taste of Yellow 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

Today marks what would have been the 42nd birthday of my teenage best friend, Sheena. Sheena, who lost her swift battle with cancer last Autumn, was in my mind throughout today. Along with others, mutual friend Karen, affectionately known as 'Wurzel' is taking part in A Race For Life in my home town of Bristol this coming weekend where she is hoping to raise £100.00 to help Cancer Research UK fund its into preventing, diagnosing and treating cancer. Today I made a donation in Sheena's memory to help Karen achieve her goal. She's almost there, but needs just a little bit more. If you would like to help Karen too, please visit her web page.

When our lives are touched by the sadness a disease like cancer can cause, it is comforting to be able to share our experiences with others. One blogger who is very special to me is Barbara, from Winos & Foodies, in Australia. In support of Lance Armstrong's Live Strong Campaign, Barbara founded A Taste of Yellow in 2007. This year 179 bloggers joined Barbara in making, eating and writing aout all kinds of delicious foods with a yellow element to help raise awareness about cancer. For my official entry I posted about Oeufs Mayonnaise but actually I had made second yellow item too. Pictured above are Alice Medrich's Very Tangy Lemon Bars which were turned out quite well despite the fact I mistakenly baked them in a larger than recommended baking pan resulting in bars that were thinner than they should have been. In culinary terms, the revelation that came with making this recipe was in the crust. I didn't know that pastry could be so easy and successful. You, yourself, can check out Alice's marvellous crust-making methodology because the recipe is replicated online here.

Please head over to Barbara's Taste of Yellow 2008 roundup to share with the Yellow experiences of hundreds of other bloggers from all over the world:

- A Taste of Yellow, 2008, Roundup Part #1

- A Taste of Yellow, 2008, Roundup Part #2





I will leave you, today, with a picture of a bench that was dedicated to Sheena's memory just a few weeks ago in Wales. Peter Hutchison, a man I have never met, but who found me through my blog because he also shared a connection with Sheena wanted to share the following image and words...

picture photograph image in memory of sheena bishop by peter hutchinson 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/
Today on a dull afternoon, later to turn wet, a number of the Gower Society Committee and a larger number of the Gower Society Youth Action group gathered to dedicate a bench in the Ilston Quarry Nature Reserve to Sheena's memory. It is a very nice bench in a very nice spot that Sheena took us to now and again.

Sheena was a magical youth leader and the children adored her. My favourite memory is of her dancing by King Arthur's Stone (a local cromlech,) in a frock that purported to be an imitation of a very old design.

I have never met anyone like her and we miss her at our GSYA meetings. To the children I think it was "Sheena's Club"

Peter Hutchison



© 2008 Sam Breach
Things I'd Like to Share

6 Comments:

  • At 12/5/08 23:51, Blogger Delphine said…

    If life gives you lemons, make mayonnaise?

    Have you noticed that the only way to soften the pain from loss of a good friend is to share a good meal with other friends to remember? I've tried everything, but it's the best remedy.

    With you on your loss.

     
  • At 13/5/08 01:17, Blogger ChrisB said…

    Sam that is a lovely way to remember Sheena. I am wondering if I will see Karen and Vicki on Saturday. There will be so many people entering that I doubt it!

     
  • At 13/5/08 01:34, Blogger Barbara said…

    Sam, a lovely tribute to Sheena. Hugs. Thank you for your card which arrived today.

     
  • At 13/5/08 22:24, Blogger Judy said…

    Hi Sam,
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. One of the things that makes David's loss so difficult for me is that I had been through the same scenario only a few years earlier. That time it was the 18-year-old daughter of friends who live in Bournemouth. She was here in California when she was diagnosed, and it's still painful to remember. To have two friends suffer from the identical illness with the same end result is indescribable.

    I think the bench is a fine tribute to Sheena.

     
  • At 14/5/08 11:20, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wonderful, wonderful post.

     
  • At 14/5/08 12:44, Blogger shuna fish lydon said…

    I commend you, Sam, for being able to write about those whom you have lost. I am not there yet, but one day, maybe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home