Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Taste of Yellow 2008

For Barbara at Winos & Foodies for Live Strong Day

picture photograph image oeufs mayonnaise for winns and Foodies Barbara's A Taste of Yellow Event 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/
Oeufs Mayonnaise

There were these three bloggers, An English one, an American one and an Australian one. One day as they were each tapping away at their respective keyboards, the English one inadvertently pressed a particular combination of keys that released a magic spell and conjured up the Genie of the G-key. The Genie, bathed in a golden yellow glow, sparkled and shimmered as he spoke: "You have stumbled upon the Genie of The G-Key, I may grant you the wish of spending today with one blogger from anywhere in the world". The English blogger listened in amazement, but without any hesitation muttered the words Barbara, from Winos & Foodies.

Apologies if you were expecting a joke because I am quite serious about the fact I wish it was easier to simply talk to Barbara over a cup of tea instead of over email. Barbara is truly a wonderful woman. Despite the fact she is battling her own fight with cancer, Barbara has always found the time to lend an ear or offer some advice to me. And for that, I am indebted to her.

Last year, Barbara started a Taste of Yellow as her "own little thank you to Lance for the strength he has given me over the past three years. I couldn't have done it without you....and to those of you supporting family members or friends - they can't do it without you either."

For her Taste of Yellow event, Barbara invites food bloggers from all over the world to post a picture and a recipe that includes a yellow ingredient. Because Live Strong day is all about finding strength inside of yourself. I decided to try and make some Oeufs Mayonnaise this year. Easy peasy you might think? Not for me, oh no. Because it is one of Fred's favourite things in the world, I have attempted to make mayonnaise many times, but every attempt in his presence has ended in failure. This time however, as you can see, I must have found the power within me to make it right and my mayonnaise turned out perfectly. I could hardly believe my eyes. (My taste buds could hardly believe their luck.) I have to thank fellow English woman, Anne Willan, whose recently published The Country Cooking of France is exactly the book I have been looking for my whole life ever since I met Fred. Not only is this book beautifully laid out with gorgeous pictures, delicious sounding dishes and easy-to-follow recipes, Willan's instructions for making mayonnaise worked a charm. (Maybe that Genie is for real, after all?) On this occasion I used eggs from pasture-raised organic fed chickens at Eatwell Farm. Just Look at the glorious Yellows!

And speaking of glorious Yellow - Barbara has extended the deadline for taking part in her Taste of Yellow Event to April 27th. That leaves everyone another week to join in the fun and help bring a little more yellow sunshine into Barbara's event.




Archives
2007 | A favourite Recipe of all time: Leek Tartare
2006 | What's for Pud?
2005 | English Food, not so bad after all?


© 2008 Sam Breach
A Taste of Yellow 2008

10 Comments:

  • At 19/4/08 08:39, Blogger ChrisB said…

    I'm glad you found a Mayonnaise recipe that works for you and I take it Fred approves!

     
  • At 19/4/08 08:59, Blogger Sam said…

    His only complaint was that there wasn't enough!

     
  • At 19/4/08 12:01, Blogger Robert said…

    Those golden yellow yolks look fantastic. If the eggs tasted half as good as they look, they must have been delicious!

     
  • At 19/4/08 14:35, Blogger Barbara said…

    Oh Sam I'd love a day with you too....and yes I was expecting a joke! Thank you for your sweet words. I'll practice my Oeufs Mayonnaise especially for Fred if you make it to Australia some day.

    Thank you for supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow.

    PS I'm a big Anne Willan fan but sold all my books when we moved to Australia. I might treat myself to the new one.

     
  • At 20/4/08 03:39, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Q. Who is the best egg chef?
    A. Egg-On Ronay!

     
  • At 20/4/08 15:28, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful cause and recipe, Sam. For some reason this entry made me remember this shot from an amazing dinner at your place.

     
  • At 20/4/08 16:24, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i wish, somehow, i'd found out abt livestrong day and made time to participate in this earlier. beautiful eggs, and lovely blog! x

     
  • At 21/4/08 01:16, Blogger Beccy said…

    My look delicious, I would love to be sampling them!

     
  • At 24/4/08 13:59, Blogger Vanessa said…

    Sam, I love Anne Willan's book too. When we returned from Paris this month I immediately set out to find a book that would help me recreate some of the food I ate. Tante Marie's Cooking School has a good one but I really need photos and that book has none...but Anne Willan's is beautiful and useful...now I can't wait to return to France.

    Take care.

     
  • At 12/5/08 04:20, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, the classics are the best!

    This looks gorgeous, the yolks just leap out the photograph.

    Niamh

     

Post a Comment

<< Home