Friday, January 11, 2008

My Mother is in BIG Trouble....

as Chez Pim Announces the Menu for Hope Raffle Winners

Becks & Posh bidders managed to raise a whopping $2020, so thank you all so much for supporting the prizes we offered! It was a pleasure to be part of such a huge and astounding group effort which raised a staggering $91,188.00 to help feed the Children of Lesotho through the United Nations World Food Programme.

Becks & Posh Winners are as follows:

Christine M Burridge wins an English Afternoon Tea package including June Taylor conserve.

Sybil Evans wins a $100 gift voucher to spend with the Fatted Calf

Congratulations to both of the winners! I told my mother, a certain Mrs Burridge, on no account should she bid on my prize because I would be mortified and embarrassed if she won. I begged her to please bid on other peoples' prizes instead. But you have understand mothers - that is what mothers do - support their own children before and above anyone else. They certainly don't do as they are told. I guess she couldn't resist buying one little ticket for my prize. I know she put the bulk of her money on something else - something she really wanted. I think she bought just one, tiny, supportive ticket among the 168 that were attempting to get their hands on my tea package and she had to go and win it. I am still reeling from the shock of the result. I had words with her this morning and she meekly told me just wanted to help boost the takings for my particular prize as I was trying to reach a magic figure of $2500. I love my mother. She doesn't even like tea.

picture photograph image english cream tea 2007 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

I had a small set-back in my "Experimental Clotted Cream Kitchen" but I have been working hard on the formula despite having a certain ingredient-sourcing issue. You may remember I promised to send all entrants who bid on my English tea package details of my secret to making clotted cream. Those cards will be sent out in the next few weeks to everyone who registered their addresses with me.

I am sorry I am not able to give any of you the gift June Taylor in person this time around, but what I can do is share this inspirational interview with her, recorded last December. June was interviewed by my friend Jen Maiser who was instrumental in setting up the Eat Local Challenge blog and writes at at Life begins at 30. I think there might even be a question from yours truly at the end. I haven't listened to the recording yet, but I was there at the time, so I know how inspirational June's words were.

Thanks again - really - all of you - for being such a big part of helping such a fantastic cause.

Now, I don't know about you - but I just can't wait for next year....




QUESTION OF THE DAY graphic copyright sam breach
? What do you think could be done to make Menu for Hope even more successful in 2008 ?


Archives
2007 | Carrot Pluot Soup
2006 | American Brunch Il Flottante
2005 | British Cookie Commission

© 2008 Sam Breach
My Mother is in BIG Trouble....

14 Comments:

  • At 11/1/08 13:36, Blogger ChrisB said…

    Oh dear you will be even more cross with me if I tell you it was actually two tickets!! I'm suitable mortified by your public chastisement xx

     
  • At 11/1/08 16:00, Blogger Anita (Married... with dinner) said…

    Oh, now I love your Mum, too. That's such a sweet, motherly thing to do. You mustn't be too cross with her. :)

     
  • At 11/1/08 16:40, Blogger Bea said…

    This is quite funny Sam indeed ;-)

     
  • At 11/1/08 18:09, Blogger One Food Guy said…

    Congrats on the success of Menu For Hope! Congrats Mum!!

     
  • At 11/1/08 19:07, Blogger Rachael Narins said…

    OMG, my mother won one of my prizes too!!!! And not the one she wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...LMAO.

    I am also REELING that your mother - ostensibly, a nice British woman - doesnt care for tea...LMAO, again...

    Mwoah,
    Tispy Rachael

     
  • At 12/1/08 00:54, Blogger Beccy said…

    I love tea, prehaps it could be diverted my way instead.

     
  • At 12/1/08 06:34, Blogger MissGinsu said…

    Drat... I missed the whole bit about the clotted cream recipe for bidders. That's brilliant. I'll be paying closer attention next year.

     
  • At 12/1/08 08:49, Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said…

    If she should decide she needs one, I would be happy to stand in for her! :-) Congrats on your wins too Sam. I am hoping my luck will turn around next year!

     
  • At 12/1/08 15:03, Blogger Casey said…

    I am still laughing about the Mom Win--even though I bought A LOT of tickets for that tea.
    Truly, it was very sweet of her.

     
  • At 12/1/08 19:32, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said…

    One Menu For Hope raffle ticket toward Sam's Afternoon Tea prize: $10

    Sam's tea-hating mother nabbing 1 in 202 chance of winning Sam's Afternoon Tea prize: Priceless

    xo

     
  • At 12/1/08 23:31, Blogger shuna fish lydon said…

    I'm going to think about your Wuestion of the Day and get back to you whilst we sip tea next week...

     
  • At 14/1/08 08:32, Blogger Sam said…

    thanks everyone for not beating on my dear sweet mother. Especially Casey whose kindness reduced me to tears at the time of her bid. I'll try and make it up to everyone who missed out with some great content in 2008.

     
  • At 18/1/08 12:49, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, your effort and those of other blogger is amazing! $91K!

     
  • At 21/1/08 19:45, Blogger Rasa Malaysia said…

    We know your prize was going to raise a lot of money! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home