Thursday, December 01, 2005

Horrific Food Photography

The laugh is on me today...

Some cheeky little monkey has perusaded us food bloggers to publish our most hideous food photography shots. Ironically, I was proud earlier this week, because of pictures like these, to have been invited to an exclusive Flickr group called Professional Looking Food Photography. If they had seen this post earlier, I am sure I would never have gotten the call. Food photography is fast becoming my favourite part of the food-blogging process and I am always keen to practise my skills. I like to think I have improved no end over the last year but that doesn't mean I haven't made some real howlers along the way. Equally, I have plenty of room for more improvement, so i am just going to keep on trying to take better and better food photographs. Click on any of the photos below, to see how I saved each and everyone of these potentially dire situations by managing to snap a somewhat better version in each case:
bad food photographybad food photography

bad food photographyterrible awful food photography

bad food photographyterrible awful food photography

bad food photographyterrible awful food photography


bad food photographyterrible awful food photography

bad food photographyterrible awful food photography

I even have some pictures that were so bad that they couldn't be saved. Their stories were intended for, but never actually even made it to the blog. That will teach me for trying to make an omelette with a baked potato filling:

terrible awful collection of bad food photography


PS. Now please excuse me, I am totally blushing with embarassment and have to go and bury my head in shame for a while.

Archive Alert! On this day last year, quite simply a November 2004 Roundup.

|
Horrific Food Photography

13 Comments:

  • At 1/12/05 08:28, Blogger Janet said…

    I hear you, sistah. We have taken some disastrous food photos but we have no shame and post them regardless. Eggs Benedict has never been more humiliated! (sybarites.blogspot.com) I admire your efforts to salvage pictures- great work.

     
  • At 1/12/05 09:40, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Warts and all! Thank god, you are human after all.
    That was fun.

     
  • At 1/12/05 12:01, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL! sam...you are too cute, posting all these blog bloopers! LOL!

     
  • At 1/12/05 13:34, Blogger fiordizucca said…

    lol :D
    i think this is a great idea actually, to show that nobody really is perfect and we can all learn from mistakes.
    think i am going to do the same!
    well done

     
  • At 1/12/05 14:36, Blogger Rachael Narins said…

    LOL.

    It was worth the wait. Excellently icky photos (though, I do think some of them are totally fine...just does to show what harsh self-critics we all are!)

    I hope your readers will be inspired to post there own and email me (cheeky monkey/bitter melon that I am) the links for the round up of "My Blog Went Up In Flames!"

    I love your photos no matter what my dear!

    Rachael

     
  • At 1/12/05 19:48, Blogger kelli ann & lorie said…

    yes - important to 'admit' to not being perfect & perfectly lit & manicured 100% of the time.

    your photos are beautiful, otherwise, you know. cheers!

     
  • At 2/12/05 07:17, Blogger Sam said…

    Janet R - ha ha ha - no shame about the burnt croutons, eh? But your photos look good, you just have to blame the subject matter!

    CC - where ever did you get the notion I wasn't human?

    Andrew - it's so sad - that one was actually taking on my bed of all places - I was trying to get white bounce fill from the sheets. duh!

    Sarah. Human and cute, heh? Whatever next?

    Fioradizucca - not perfect, obviously :). I don't think I was ever trying to have a monopoly on perfection. Looking forward to seeing your bloopers. That sounds a bit saucy, but guess it must be an American word. Not one I have used before.

    Rachael - some of the ones at the bottom did end up looking ok after I had partnered them with the worse ones. The soup in the bottom left is particularly bad. I wish I'd actually special featured that one now, cos that soup did actually end up being blogged, be it in far prettier form.

    Kelli Ann - should I be beginning to think that everyone thought, until now - that I was perfect??? This cannot be true. Just ask my mum. Actually maybe you had better not. She is getting so brave at commenting these days she might tell you something I don't want you to hear.

    Barbara - about the soup - of course if it doesn't look good then you just have to embarass it publicly instead.

     
  • At 2/12/05 09:47, Blogger Guy said…

    I'm attempting to join in, but haven't found the time yet. I checked the file size of the directory where I keep my 2004/2005 images and we're about 150mb from 10 gigs worth. 10 gigs. I'm getting there.

    Biggles

     
  • At 2/12/05 10:21, Blogger Sam said…

    only 10??

     
  • At 2/12/05 13:23, Blogger Guy said…

    Hey Sam,

    Yeah, only 10 gigs in 2 years. I had a severe HD & Backup crash in 2004. I lost EVERY digital meat & family picture I had since I started in 1994.
    Thank goodness for film and my meat portfolios I put together over the years.

    Biggles

     
  • At 3/12/05 12:48, Blogger MizD said…

    Hah! That first one takes the cake. I love it. I put up some of mine and, sadly, had no decent examples of better versions to link to. It seems I typically either end up with a completely decent (or decent enough for me, anyway) photoshoot, or it's all such a disaster that nothing salvageable at all!

     
  • At 6/12/05 12:31, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Urrgghh, marmaite, does anyone seriously like that?

    ukxposure.co.uk

     
  • At 1/12/06 16:54, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    teehee! but aside from the welcome chuckle, i'm glad you did this because it led me to your past post on potted wensleydale with mulled port jelly. mmm...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home