Saturday, January 07, 2006

Bay Area Blogger(s) of the Week # 27

Food Blogging Excellence in Our Bay Area Community

photo picture image looking at down town san francisco from the bay

I was delighted, when I perused the list of finalists for the 2005 Food Blogging Awards, to see so many local favourites among the nominees. Without further ado here are the other local food bloggers who made the cut:

Eggbeater's Shuna Lydon, for Best Food Blog by a Chef and Best Post.
Knife's Edge's Haddock for Best Food Blog by a Chef.
Group Blog Bay Area Bites for Best City Blog.
Gastronome, for Best Group Blog.
Alder at Vinography, for Best Blog Covering Wine, Beer or Spirits.
Guy Prince, of Meathenge and Tana of Small Farms for Best Theme.
Heidi, of 101 Cookbooks, for Best Recipes and Best Photography.
Pim from Chez Pim for Best Post.

Good luck everyone! You can VOTE HERE! Make sure you check out all the options carefully before making your final decisions.

Did you notice that the Bay Area was totally unpresented in the Best Humour category? Maybe we all need to loosen up a little and stop taking our food so seriously. I'll make a toast to more fun with food in 2006! Personally, I thought it was a great shame not to see the excellent Restaurant Whore and Ms Food Musings in the Best Restaurant Reviews category and I think Brett, of In Praise of Sardines, would have been a deserving nominee in the Best New Blog Category too. There were so many brilliant food blogs, new and old, that didn't quite squeeze into the finals but are deserving of being read. I think I heard someone quote that there were over 700 nominees. When you have a spare day or two, check them all out from this link.

My prediction for Blog Success of 2006 goes to Monkey Gland at Jam Faced. He has a totally dedicated small following (that means that Cookie Crumb and myself are furiously battling each other for his affections.) He recently changed the focus of his blog to concentrate on eating in London. I think it is a great idea, which I imagine will be successful, although he has to be careful not to make me so homesick that I'll jump on the next plane back to Blighty.



It doesn't end there. Two more things and then I'll be off to the farmer's market to pick up my pre-ordered 5lb pork belly. Squeals of excitement can be heard across San Francisco and they are coming from the direction of Jeanne at World on a Plate who has a chance of winning a trip to the Culinary Institute in New York if you vote for her Black & Tans in Gourmet Magazine's "Cook the Cover" competition. (Another prediction for 2006 is that this challenge will from now on be overrun by food bloggers!)

Last but not least, Olivia over at All In, Just Like Life, picked up on a fascinating article called Food Slut by novelist and freelance food writer Ann Bauer published on Salon.com. Olivia attracted a response from the author of the piece which might interest you.




PS. Enough already. No PS today.

Previously Featured Bay Area Food & Drink Bloggers:
Chez Pim | The Blue Bottle Clown College | The Novato Experiment | Amuse Bouche | Feeding Fashionistas | All In | Dr Five Pints | SF Gourmet | Small Farms | In Praise of Sardines | Life Begins @ 30 | Gastronomie | Confessions of a Restaurant Whore | Bunny Foot | Sweet & Savory | I'm Mad and I Eat | Yummy Chow | Nosheteria | Vivi's Wine Journal | Epicurian Debauchery | Food Musings | Pfiff | Marga's Food Blog | Where the Wild Things Are | Eggbeater


| | | |
Bay Area Blogger(s) of the Week # 27

11 Comments:

  • At 7/1/06 10:58, Blogger Joy said…

    Congratulations, Sam!

    And thank you for the sweet words...

    xoxo

     
  • At 7/1/06 14:53, Blogger Derrick said…

    700 seems about right. There are so many great sites deserving of attention. If only Kate had said 10 finalists per category! Of course then I'd be wishing she had said 15.

     
  • At 7/1/06 15:59, Blogger Monkey Gland said…

    ahhhh, crickey, I've gone all red now...

     
  • At 7/1/06 19:02, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    MG!! I hadn't even posted a comment yet!
    Best of luck to you.
    And to Sam.
    Everybody: Is Sam the most generous, sharing, caring food blogger around? I owe my existence to her.
    I aspire to be on the list next year, but for now, I'm voting for my mates.
    xx

     
  • At 7/1/06 22:44, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations on not one, not two, but three well-earned places in this impressive list!

     
  • At 8/1/06 06:54, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations for a great blog that brings more inspiration. And I agree with cookiecrumb, Sam is definitely on top of the list of people in the food blog community.

     
  • At 8/1/06 08:28, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post!

    And just so you know, I for one think that you demonstrate great humour all the time!

    By the way, as someone who visited the SF/Bay area this past summer, I was astounded at the food resources and options available to all of you. You truly do live in a great part of the world!

     
  • At 9/1/06 09:28, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Um...what's your 5lbs of pork belly for? Because I just bought some this weekend for a "project" and I'm curious. :)

     
  • At 9/1/06 09:56, Blogger Sam said…

    my "project" will be reveailed in about a week, luisa!
    needless to say, it took me half the weekend and the appartment is a bit stinky!

     
  • At 9/1/06 12:06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I'm intrigued. We'll probably be blogging about our "projects" around the same time! :) How mysterious...

     
  • At 9/1/06 12:23, Blogger Sam said…

    maybe we will be doing the same thing.
    i will keep an eye on your blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home