Friday, July 31, 2009

MockTails of the City #2: Clock Bar

In which I make my way around the City searching for sophisticated yet sober cocktails.

Cocktails, mocktails and local eats, like popcorn, nuts and salami meats.

picture photograph image taken on my iphone 2009 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

Last week marked my return to a scene I had been taking a break from for the first half of 2009. A group of my friends get together on a regular basis, to try out cocktail bars all over the City. Initially I reigned in my attendance on account of the effects of the recession, but after cutting back on alcohol too, I wasn't sure if there would be any reason to ever return to these highly spirited gatherings. Eventually I missed the social aspect too much and I wanted back in. Plus, these days I am intrigued - just what is a mixologist who doesn't have alcohol to fall back on, capable of creating?

Clock Bar: Westin St. Francis, 335 Powell St, San Francisco, CA 94102, (415) 397 9222 [Website]
Visit: July 2009
Menu: No non-alcholic cocktails listed. [menu here]
Bartender's reaction: The first bartender I spoke to wasn't wildly enthusiastic at the notion of creating a non-alcholic cocktail. "It's just going to be juice", she remarked. After being pushed a little further by my requests for some something more imaginative she suggested making a dry version of their "Scottish Mule" - fresh lime, cucumber and ginger beer without the gin. The resulting drink, made by her male colleague, was great; refreshing, perfectly balanced and with very subtle nuances of cucumber. Bartender #2 was much more game for being experimental and he made me a second drink with lime and muddled rosemary. The result wasn't as successful, but I appreciated the attempt. Full marks for trying.
Price: Mocktails: $5 each.



Previously on Mocktails of the City: The Alembic.

© 2009 Sam Breach
MockTails of the City #2: Clock Bar

5 Comments:

  • At 31/7/09 15:39, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Brava, brava and bravo. Good going.

     
  • At 31/7/09 23:08, Blogger Greggor said…

    Try Fentimans for the Ginger Beer. It's quite good.
    Greg

     
  • At 1/8/09 13:34, Blogger ChrisB said…

    I guess they are not going to make much money from you!

     
  • At 4/8/09 16:11, Blogger Sam said…

    Thanks Gregor - I just spotted some in Sainsbury's and bought a bottle to try out this week, thanks to your rec. Apparently my dad loves it.

     
  • At 6/8/09 11:15, Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said…

    I love your comments on their reactions - whether they're enthusiastic or what not. Shows whether they really approach cocktail flavors intellectually, or just as a vehicle for booze.

    Hope you're enjoying England! Your mention of Sainsburys got me nostalgic for the snack foods - guess theyr'e junk foods just like we have here, but I love the sweet chili flavored crisps and all the cookies - like Hob Nobs, etc. Cannot leave those things alone!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home