Tuesday, January 06, 2009

$3400+ Thank You's to All of You

Together we Made it to #13 on The 2008 Pink Honor Roll

Komen San Francisco Race For The Cure raised over $1 million in 2008!

picture photograph image ALT 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

Sunday, September 21 2008 was a spectacular day. Over six thousand people attended the Race and, along with the dedicated work of our fundraisers and the generosity of our sponsors, their contributions will help our Affiliate continue to support breast cancer programs in the 9 Bay Area counties and our National Research program. Our online fundraising competition officially closed on November 1, 2008 and we are pleased to announce the 2008 Race has raised over $1 Million!

I am a little tardy in sending out the huge online thank you I promised to everyone who supported me last Fall in raising money to help find a cure for breast cancer with 'The Race for the Cure' as part of the Electronic Arts team. With the help of so many friends, family and readers I managed to achieve so much in such a short time.

In the end, I raised a total of over $3,400 which put me on the honor roll as the thirteenth highest fund raiser for the entire event! Out of thousands of participants. Wow. I am blown away by this. This makes me very proud, thanks to each and every one of you who helped to make that happen.

The 2008 Pink Honor Roll only went up on the SFKomen.org website this week, which is why I have waited so long to share this good news with all of you who supported me.

Some of closest friends, a bunch of wonderful women I met several years ago through my food blogging hobby joined me on the EA team and gave me reason to be even more proud. Two of them made it to the Pink honor Roll along with me. I would like to thank them all for being there with me on Race day: Stephanie, Catherine, Fatemeh (due to injury, represented in the race by Linda) and Joy.

Stephanie and myself trained separately, but elected to run the race together. One short month before the race I couldn't run 5 blocks without difficulty. But I persevered, to get myself in shape, getting up at 6.15am several days a week to practice and gain stamina and build up distance. It worked! Quite perchance and as we found out on race day, Stephanie and myself were perfect running mates, with exactly the same pace and we finished neck and neck, running the entire race together!

We came 607 & 608th respectively, completing the 5k race in 32 minutes and 50 seconds. (Ok - I was 1 second slower than Stephanie, I'll admit it, she beat me!). For Stephanie's race report read here.

I offered to include blog links to any sponsors who wanted a name check. I am therefore giving a shout out to Over a Tuscan Stove. Thank you for your support and a final thanks to everyone who helped me become one of the top fund raisers. I am rendered speechless by your generosity.

Cheers





© 2009 Sam Breach
$3400+ Thank You's to All of You

7 Comments:

  • At 7/1/09 09:33, Blogger ChrisB said…

    Good you made it onto the list. A very worthy cause so glad you all managed to raise a lot of money.

     
  • At 7/1/09 13:46, Blogger Barbara said…

    Well done Sam. A great effort.

     
  • At 8/1/09 16:07, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As someone who forces herself to run 5 miles on the treadmill once a week (and hates every minute of it), I truly salute you! Kudos to you for dragging yourself out of bed so early each morning to train, and for such a good cause, too. Congrats!

     
  • At 11/1/09 05:02, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good job Sam. 5 km in 32 min is pretty good! And so is $3400.Wish I could use my blog for such a good cause.....

     
  • At 11/1/09 06:44, Blogger Beccy said…

    That's brillant Sam, well done xxx

     
  • At 11/1/09 09:21, Blogger Scott at Real Epicurean said…

    Well done! I feel a bit guilty I didn't do anything now - maybe next time...

     
  • At 14/1/09 15:17, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, from 5 blocks to a 5k! Congratulations on making to the finish line and raising over $3,400. Your friends and family must be proud. What an accomplishment! Thanks for the great post and for supporting a wonderful cause. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home