Saturday, October 25, 2008

Yummy Breakfast Pancake

Eat Local Challenge Day 25
(Read What & Why I am Doing This Here)


picture photograph image ALT 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/
A glorious, very local breakfast of Pancake [UK] aka Crepe [US] topped with stewed fruit and Honey Ice Cream. Flour for the crepes was homeground from local wheat berries.


Breakfast Day 25
Crepes made with home ground whole wheat flour & eggs [source: Eatwell], Milk [source: Straus], From the freezer - Heavenly Honey Ice Cream & Stewed fruit: Milk & Cream [source: Straus] and Sage Honey [Source: Marshall's]: Pears [source: Cookiecrumb's garden], Blackberries [source: Swanton], Lemon Zest [source: not recorded], St George Pear Eau de Vie [source: St George] Salt

Lunch Day 25
Take Out: Boccalone's Prepared Sandwich of Arugula, Olive Oil Prosciutto [source: Boccalone ] and Rustic Roll [source: Acme]

Dinner Day 25
Dinner at Zinnia: Poached egg & Chicken Hash, Steamed Mussels, Dulce de Leche ice cream, tastes off other peoples' plates.

Drinks Day 25
Tap Water, Boccalone filtered Sparkling Water, A Sonoma Syrah called Hammer Tea (1 Cup)
Cocktail. Moscato d'Asti


Code:
100% Local ingredient
Local Artisan using mostly local ingredients
Local Artisan using non-local ingredients
Californian
Totally Un-local/unknown
Pre-declared exempt
Restaurants which focus on local produce





© 2008 Sam Breach
Yummy Breakfast Pancake

8 Comments:

  • At 26/10/08 11:33, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Poached egg and chicken hash sounds awesome! How was it?
    (And you didn't have to eat a hamburger.)

     
  • At 26/10/08 14:34, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ice cream for breakfast? Now, you're talking! Mmmmm!

     
  • At 26/10/08 16:13, Blogger Jacqueline deRuyter said…

    I admire what you're doing! I look forward to reading (and seeing) what you eat everyday. Thanks for sharing! I'm curious about your homeground wheat berry flour. Do you really grind it yourself? You've inspired me to seek out local food producers to feed my family.

     
  • At 26/10/08 21:41, Blogger Sam said…

    cookiecrumb - it was perfectly cooked, smaller portion, warming and homey - I believe it might be right up your alley?

    Carolyn - I know, it was a little decadent, but it was a Saturday and I fancied a treat. I'm plan to have the same thing for breakfast tomorrow, but unfortunately I think I will be subbing sensible yogurt for the ice cream as its a work day.

    Hi Jacqueline. Indeed I do grind it myself. I have a mill attachment for my kitchen aid and I bought a 50lb sack of wheatberries from Eatwell Farm to last me through to next summer.

    Good luck searching out local food producers in your own area.

    Sam

     
  • At 26/10/08 23:37, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree - ice cream for breakfast can't be beat! Except for brownies, perhaps :)

    That being said, mine are are not locally sourced... your on take is admirable and impressive, well done. Now all I have to do is source my brownies locally so I won't feel so guilty for my 8am feed!

     
  • At 27/10/08 09:31, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I use a Country living grain mill from Healthy Harvest for my grain grinding. It is hand powered and does not produce a lot of heat on the wheat berry etc that can minutely change the properties of the grain you are grinding. I also like the fact that I don't rely on electricity to use it. There are other models, I bought this one because it will last my lifetime.

    http://www.healthyharvest.com/countrylivingmill.aspx

     
  • At 28/10/08 22:52, Blogger Jacqueline deRuyter said…

    Thanks for the reply, Sam! And thank you, Cameron, for the mill suggestion.

     
  • At 5/3/09 03:44, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So colourful and delicious looking ... a 'big kid' like me wants to eat too! =D I'm normally the one that will say no to Pancake.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home