Monday, October 20, 2008

Fatted Calf Chicken Broth

Eat Local Challenge Day 20
(Read What & Why I am Doing This Here)


 
I can be pretty hard core in the kitchen, in terms of making things from scratch. But when it comes to chicken stock, I usually just choose not to go there. I only buy a couple of chickens a year, if that. When I do, no questions asked, stock is made from the bones. But, for all the soups I make, I need chicken broth much more than I need the bird herself. Thank goodness for the Fatted Calf, for making me wonderful, locally sourced chicken stock, so I don't have to.
Thank you, Taylor.


Breakfast Day 20
Wheat porridge made from wheat berries [source: Eatwell], Sage Honey [source: Marshall's], Plain Yogurt [source: St Benoit], From the freezer - Stewed fruit: Pears [source: Cookiecrumb's garden], Blackberries [source: Swanton], Lemon Zest [source: not recorded], St George Pear Eau de Vie [source: St George] Salt

Lunch Day 20
Bread made with home ground whole wheat flour [source: Eatwell] and Olive Oil [source: Napa Valley Naturals], Cavatina cheese [source: Andante] and Lettuce & Lovage soup: escarole & lovage [source: Mariquita], onion [source: Alemany Farm], butter [source: Straus], Chicken Broth [source: Fatted Calf], Salt & Pepper

Dinner Day 20
Ragu Gratin: Heirloom tomato [source: Mariquita], Creme Fraiche [source: Cowgirl], Basil [source: Four Sisters], tarragon [source: Marin Roots], potato [source: Green Gulch], Mezzo Secco Cheese [source: Vella], Olive Oil [source: Napa Valley Naturals] and Ragu [source: Boccalone] plus 'Heavenly Honey Ice Cream' made with Milk & Cream [source: Straus] and Sage Honey [Source: Marshall's] Salt & Pepper.

Drinks Day 20
Tap Water, Tea (1 Cup and 1 pot) and at favourite local wine bar, Yield, A Syrah from Pasa Robles and a glass of bubbles from New Mexico


Code:
100% Local ingredient
Local Artisan using mostly local ingredients
Local Artisan using non-local ingredients
Californian
Totally Un-local
Pre-declared exempt
Restaurants which focus on local produce




© 2008 Sam Breach
Fatted Calf Chicken Broth

3 Comments:

  • At 21/10/08 08:25, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since you are trying to only eat local products you should contact Napa Valley Naturals and ask them if the olive oil you are buying does actually come from Napa Valley....you may be surprised.

     
  • At 21/10/08 09:46, Blogger Sam said…

    Hi anonymous - Your suggestion doesn't actually surprise me. I actually wasn't sure I trusted the packaging - does that sound strange? I don't normally buy this brand but it happened that a bottle landed in my pantry through a lack of planning mistake I made a while back. I felt it was important to not let it go to waste though, so I am trying to use it up as a cooking oil. I don't plan on buying it again. If you read through my blog you'll see that most of the time I buy Bariani straight from the producer at the market. Last weekend I bought some Sciabica freshly pressed olive oil as a treat. [Too good for cooking!]

     
  • At 21/10/08 21:36, Blogger DeniseinVA said…

    Hi, I am very happy to find your blog. I work in a small British restaurant (in the US) and a customer came in today. We discovered we enjoyed food blogs and she told me about yours, so here I am. I have put a link on mine to yours if you don't mind, as I would like to come back often.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home