Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Everything But The Kitchen Sink Potato Salad

Eat Local Challenge Day 1
(Read the Back Story Here)


picture photograph image salad 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

Code:
100% Local ingredient
Local Artisan using mostly local ingredients (or unsure)
Local Artisan using non-local ingredients
Californian
Totally Un-local
Pre-declared exempt


Breakfast Day 1

Wheat berry Porridge, St Benoit Yogurt, Stewed fruit mix: Pears, Lemon zest, Blackberries and Eau de Vie, salt.

Lunch Day 1
Homemade Whole Wheat Bread*, Toy Box tomatoes, basil, garlic chives, radishes, butter, June Taylor tomato ketchup, Fatted Calf Bacon, *Bread made with local flour, and oil, plus yeast and salt.

Snacks Day 1
Apple, Fatted Calf Lonza.

Dinner Day 1
Potatoes, Eggs, parsley, garlic chives, carrot, avocado, Red Wine Vinegar, Creme Fraiche, onion, Fatted Calf Guanciale, salt and pepper.

Drinks Day 1
Tap Water, Hangar One Raspberry Vodka, Tea (1 cup + 1 pot).




© 2008 Sam Breach
Everything But The Kitchen Sink Potato Salad

9 Comments:

  • At 2/10/08 00:01, Blogger Kitt said…

    How do you like that Hangar One vodka? I keep meaning to get over there to check out their operation. (They're on the old Navy base in Alameda.)

     
  • At 2/10/08 08:22, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hangar One has a Buddha's Hand infused vodka that is really delicious.
    There seems to be an abundance of local distilleries springing up, producing some really wonderful drink.

     
  • At 2/10/08 09:06, Blogger Sam said…

    Kitt - you could say I like it this much!

    Almost 4 years after attending their very first open house, by this stage I have become personal friends with several of the staff at Hangar One so I might not have the most unbiased opinion.

    Personally I love the raspberry but I don't like the lemon or lime ones so much. That's just personal taste. I love the St George Eau de Vie's, the whiskey, the framboise.

     
  • At 2/10/08 13:10, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you like tea as much as I do!

     
  • At 2/10/08 14:31, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great challenge; a whole month sounds pretty hard.
    I like the color coded posting.

     
  • At 2/10/08 16:48, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh i like how you eat!

     
  • At 2/10/08 22:30, Blogger Kitt said…

    Well! That's quite the endorsement. I saw a lineup of their bottles at Heinold's a couple of months ago, but I didn't try any then. And then I forgot about it until your post. I'll be in Alameda in November again, so I'll be sure to stop by.

     
  • At 3/10/08 17:03, Blogger Marco said…

    Hhhmmm ... guanciale - crisped up, I guess! At some point it would be very interesting to do a parallel tasting of guanciale, since so many local purveyors are at it these days. Chronicle style, thinly sliced and raw on some plain bread, in a couple of pastas, in something like a potato salad where it is more of a condiment almost. Will definitely try the latter, your ingredient list looks so good!

     
  • At 3/10/08 17:08, Blogger Sam said…

    Hi Marco - I have to confess my fridge was a bit bare so I literally threw a lot of stuff in that salad - it tasted better than I hoped. I have been using FC's guinciale for two years by now (ever since I met Mario batali at the FC stall). I find a little goes a long way and it adds a lot of flavour. the last batch was a little more moist and bacon-y than previous ones. I use it all over the place.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home