Monday, September 15, 2008

Bartering for The Cure

I'll do You a Dealpicture photograph image ALT 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/
You would't know it from this picture, but my recent attempt to can Bramley Apples ended in tears. At least I was trying. I am always trying, it's the least I can do...


I have a scar across my breast. It's not a big deal. I had a lump removed. It was benign. I truly am one of the lucky ones. Every day it serves not only to remind me just how lucky I am, but how many other women don't escape breast cancer as easily as I did. So when I heard that the company I work for, Electronic Arts, were asking employees to sign up for The Race for the Cure I thought I would give it a try and help raise money for this worthy cause.

One in eight women will be stricken with breast cancer in her lifetime. The Komen San Francisco Race for the Cure® raises money to fund education, screening and treatment programs for these women and thousands of others and supports the national search for a cure.

I have been working hard on this project so far. One short month ago I couldn't even run five blocks. With the thought of this race to spur me on, though, I have been getting up early several times a week in order to try and get fit enough to run 5k. It's been a tough journey, but I am actually getting there. Yesterday I managed to run 4.6k in just 30 minutes.

I have also been selling many of my books, dvds and other items with one hundred percent of the proceeds going to my fund raising efforts. And I have many friends and family supporting me already including four strong, beautiful women who have even signed up to race by my side.

But I set myself an impossible goal. And I am only half way there even though in my dreams I would happily see it doubled. Which is why, today, I am humbly, going to ask for your support too. But if you know me - you'll also know I don't expect something for nothing. Which is why I am happy to do a little bartering in an attempt to part you with some of your money. If you give a little to this cause, then I will give a little something back to you in return.

Donate up to $24.99 and I promise to write a post on my blog every day until the race which will take place this coming Sunday.
Donate $25-$49.99 and I'll mail you a hand written postcard decorated with my food photography.
Donate $50 or more and I'll send you your choice of either homemade cookies or a lb of freshly ground wholewheat flour, milled from Eatwell Farm wheatberries.
Donate $250 or more, I will send you a lb of freshly ground flour, homemade cookies, a postcard and I'll write a blog post on a subject of your choosing too.
Donate??? and I will ??? Feel free to suggest any other bartering options you think might be appropriate. I am making no promises but I will gladly consider all options.


Rules and Regulations

#In order to take part, make your donation here. Donations to the Race for the Cure via other donation pages will not be valid for this special offer.
#This offer is only valid for new donations.
#Those giving donations are not required to take up any of these offers.
#The flour offer is available only whilst Eatwell wheat berries sources last. If wheat berries become unavailable, home made cookies will be sent instead.
#Cookies will be of my own choosing although allergies will be taken into account when specified.
#The blog post offer will be carried out at a time that is agreeable to both parties. For those who donate over $250, please note that whilst the general subject matter will be decided by the contributor, Sam Breach will have control over the details and tone of the content and the resulting post will be in keeping with the historical values of this blog.
#Only one offer may be requested per person.
#Please consider that offers will be shipped from the State of CA, USA. If the offer is not legally shippable to your area you will be asked to consider a replacement of a similar value instead.
#This offer is valid only until midnight PST on Sunday September 21st 2008.

To take part in this offer, make a donation on my personal Fund Raising Page via this link. Then, using the exact same email address that you used to make the donation, write an email to me at sam.race.cure@gmail.com stating how much you donated and which offer you would like to claim. I will double check your details against my donation page and confirm thereafter.

This agreement is entered into in good faith. If you have any questions or if any of the details are not clear, I suggest you email at me sam.race.cure@gmail.com first for clarification prior to making a donation.

I know I am somewhat guilty of often resorting to madcap, hair brain schemes and using my blog to try and raise money for charities, but anything is worth a try when it's for a very worthy cause. Thank you for humouring me. Or humoring me. Whichever way you like it.

Thank you





© 2008 Sam Breach
Bartering for The Cure

7 Comments:

  • At 16/9/08 02:45, Blogger Barbara said…

    You are a beautiful soul Sam. Good luck for the run.

     
  • At 16/9/08 07:07, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this idea, Sam -- and I applaud you for setting so high a goal. Best wishes with the race!

     
  • At 17/9/08 06:50, Blogger ChrisB said…

    I do hope you get lots of support mum xx

     
  • At 17/9/08 22:18, Blogger Sam said…

    I have had a lot of lovely and generous support from the blogging community, thanks everyone. So much so, in fact that no one even donated at the lowest level, which means hooray! I don't have to blog every day after all. Glad because it was tiring me out and I was finding it hard to find time to practice my running!

     
  • At 19/9/08 17:03, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a blog you created.I love to read it.

     
  • At 22/9/08 10:54, Blogger Alison said…

    you did a great job on your time Sam. You were just behind the winning woman!! that is awesome. I am sure I saw you as you ran by, we cheered for all the runners as we were walking!! You raised a huge sum...that is great!!

    It was a wonderful day!!!
    Alison

     
  • At 15/12/09 08:02, Anonymous dinnerware set said…

    Beautiful, inspiring post! I've run the race for the cure many times here in Denver, for many similar reasons as you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home