Sunday, July 06, 2008

Free Water for Life courtesy of Boccalone Salumeria

Another reason to love San Francisco and its 'environmental stewards' like Mark Pastore and Chris Constentino...
picture photograph image from ferry building san francisco 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/ At the San Francisco Ferry Building's newest store, Boccalone Salumeria, you can buy, for $20, a smart-looking metallic water bottle brandished with the pig-angel logo that, to my mind, embodies global love for all tasty salted pig parts. As anyone who likes to eat pig parts will know, following up these salty snacks with a refreshing glug of pure water is not a bad idea.

Any Locavore worth his or her salt will not feel comfortable about shipping glass or plastic bottles of 'designer' or mineral waters half way across the world when perfectly adequate Hetchy Hetchy water flows freely from our taps here in the Bay Area. At Boccalone Salumeria they have installed the patented Natura® water filter system that further improves the composition of the tap water and rids it of any smell or taste of chlorine.

At Boccalone Salumeria, Natura's filtration system provides customers with a choice of room temperature still, or chilled sparkling or still waters. You can either purchase it by the cup or be smart and buy that hamtastic bottle which promises you free water refills for life. It even has a handy clip on the top so you can secure it to your market shopping basket, so you'll never forget it...picture photograph image from ferry building san francisco 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/ Boccalone also sell 'Meat Cups'. How can you not be intrigued by the idea of a meat cup?




QUESTION OF THE DAY graphic copyright sam breach
?How do you Drink your Water?


Local Resources
Thanks to the person who bought me my first meat cup.
Hello to the person I bumped in to, who shared a little of another, different, meat cup with me, a meat cup that rightfully belonged to the Mad Meat Genius.
No two meat cups are the same, it would seem.
The Importance of Municipal Water: San Francisco’s Phase Out of Bottled Water
Some Eco-conscious Restaurants are Banning Bottled Water

Archives
2006 | Lemony Yogurt
2005 | 2003 Vintage Coonawarra Majella Sparkling Shiraz
2004 | Le Cafe du Commerce and Restaurant Pizza "La Gioconda"

© 2008 Sam Breach
Free Water for Life courtesy of Boccalone Salumeria

18 Comments:

  • At 6/7/08 10:05, Blogger Sam said…

    In answer to my own question of the day. I drink mostly hot water all day long which comes straight out of the tap (via a kettle or the office water-heating machine [straight from tap, not bottles]). I am unable to wean the BF off of his beloved Perrier and confess that if I do fancy a spot of cold, sparkling water from time to time I drink it too, though I don't feel very comfortable about that. I want to buy one of these but it is a little bit pricey for now. One day...

     
  • At 6/7/08 11:11, Blogger Kitt said…

    Love the water bottle. And the penguin! But tap water's fine for me.

     
  • At 6/7/08 11:44, Blogger Anna Haight said…

    Thanks for the tip! Ordered the cheap version as the kids I'm 'auntie' to will have a blast with it this summer. And I also like seltzer water. Now I can control the quality of the water input. I use a Jupiter ionizing water filter at my sink for healthy, filtered alkaline water for drinking and cooking.

     
  • At 6/7/08 11:49, Blogger ChrisB said…

    great little water bottle and I love the look of the penguin.You'll have to remind me about that nearer to Christmas!

     
  • At 7/7/08 08:35, Blogger Chilebrown said…

    Meat Cups and a cool chug of water. It does not get any better!!!

     
  • At 7/7/08 08:36, Blogger FaustianBargain said…

    i am not sure i get it. am i reading this right? they are now charging for filtered tap water? pay by the cup? seriously? let us not encourage such things or san francisco will be mocked the world over for selling filtered water...we are a tourist town, granted..but not all of us who live here are tourists who'd have to pay for drinking water. doesnt delfina have similar filtration system?(unless i am mistaken) are they charging for water?

    isnt this all getting a bit out of hand? a restaurant has the duty to provide clean, potable drinking water to its customers..FREE.

    bummed....getting more and more disillusioned with san francisco restaurants.

     
  • At 7/7/08 09:05, Blogger Sam said…

    FB. I think you might slightly have the wrong end of the stick. Boccalone is not a restaurant, it is a shop that is competing with other shops selling bottled water in the ferry building. The owners of Boccalone pioneered free filtered and sparkling water in their restaurant, Incanto, where, because of environmental concerns, they chose not to sell bottled water of any sort. At least the water was complimentary the last time i dined at Incanto. If things have changed since then I am not aware. All restaurants in SF offer free regular tap water in my experience.

     
  • At 7/7/08 09:56, Blogger Kate said…

    Unless I'm out for a run, I drink my water carbonated with vodka and lemon.

    But that is a cute bottle and could maybe change my antipathy towards daily water-drinking.

     
  • At 7/7/08 10:08, Blogger kudzu said…

    Have you by any chance read the blog Stuff White People Like?

     
  • At 7/7/08 10:27, Blogger Sam said…

    Kate - I know what you mean. In restaurants we often turn down the water , joking it is only good for brushing ones' teeth.

    Kudzu - are you referring to this by any chance?

     
  • At 7/7/08 10:38, Blogger kudzu said…

    Sam --
    Yep.
    I happened to read this over the weekend and couldn't resist the question when I finished your post today.

     
  • At 7/7/08 17:04, Blogger FaustianBargain said…

    sam.. thank goodness, i read that wrong! also..feeling rather silly now.

     
  • At 7/7/08 17:06, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MEAT CUPS!!! I always drink water with my meat cups. Well.. I would... if I had some.

     
  • At 7/7/08 19:21, Blogger Cate said…

    Sam - love the lighting (assume it's natural) in the second pic - gorgeous!

     
  • At 10/7/08 10:59, Blogger Stephany Benbow said…

    I drink nice tasty EBMUD water straight from the tap in large doses. I'm a water girl for sure. It drives me insane that almost all of my coworkers drink bottled water. If the water cooler runs out, they buy it from the store. I've even had them express shock after seeing me fill up a glass at the sink. I can't seem to convince them we have amazingly clean and tasty water.

     
  • At 16/7/08 06:11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are very big water drinkers here in Jerusalem, and receive deliveries of water from a spring about three hours away in large 20 liter containers that are sent back and refilled. Although I'm not crazy about paying for water, the Jerusalem aquifers are not in great shape and the Sea of Galilee is quite low. Water from the Katzrin spring just tastes a lot better, and Jerusalem tap, even after filtration, is super-heavy. So we're with spring, but no little plastic bottles. Glasses, that get washed, for home, and reuse of seltzer bottles or whatever is around for going out.

     
  • At 21/7/08 15:09, Blogger Diane said…

    I must thank you for this blog-- I am headed up to San Francisco for a little break from Palm Springs heat and your blog has made me look forward to this even more.

     
  • At 1/8/08 07:00, Blogger Jeanne said…

    What a great idea - and how revolutionary, considering that in London we are still fighting to kill off the "still or sparkling?" trap.

    As for how I like my water? With a splash of whisky, preferably (!!), but generally straight from the Thames via my taps.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home