Sunday, February 03, 2008

Jasmine Dragon Pearl Tea Cookies: Recipe

Sweet, Buttery, Nibbly and Crispy, with Floral Perfume

picture photograph image Jasmine Dragon Pearl Tea Cookies: Recipe 2008 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/
A couple of weeks ago, before I darted out of a genteel cocktail soiree, the hostess handed me a small cookie to try. It was simple and plain, but delightful all the same. "It's an Earl Grey tea cookie", she told me, "it's the easiest recipe in the world to make". She told me she had found it online 'somewhere'.

I was in a cookie-making mood this morning so I went to hunt for the tea cookie recipe on the interwebs. I think I found it here. I am not quite sure why I didn't have any Earl Grey in the house, it's my favourite of all teas, so I scrambled to search for a substitute. My feeling was that these little biscuits are better suited to a tea with a strong, heady perfume. Luckily, in the back of my pantry I found a little sample tin of Jasmine Dragon Pearl Tea. The floral wafts that escaped as I poked my nose inside the caddy confirmed that the jasmine would likely make a great alternative to Earl Grey in this recipe. And it did.

Jasmine Tea Cookies
Makes 72 small cookies, 1 WW point per cookie

2 Tablespoons Jasmine Dragon Pearl Tea
2 Cups All purpose flour (I used '00' Superfine)
1 Cup Bakers (caster) Sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Cup Chilled Butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoons Iced Water

1) In a processor or grinder, pulse the tea until powder-like. Use a pestle and mortar to break down any resistant buds remaining.
2) In a stand-mixer stir together the flour, sugar, salt and the tea.
3) Dice the cold butter into tiny cubes. Add this to the mixer along with the vanilla extract and water.
4) Using the paddle attachment, gently stir the ingredients together on your machine's slowest setting until a loose dough is formed.
5) Divide dough into two equal pieces. Without over-handling, press each to form a dense ball and then roll each into a 12"-long log.
6) Wrap each log in plastic wrap and then chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
7) Preheat oven to 375F with a shelf located in the centre.
8) One log at a time - remove from the fridge, slice 1/3" rounds, place on a baking tray and bake on the middle shelf for 16 minutes until the edges of the cookies just start to colour brown.
9) Remove from the oven and leave on the tray for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
10) Enjoy.




QUESTION OF THE DAY graphic copyright sam breach
?How well do you think these delicate little tea biscuits will go down at a Super Bowl Party? Am I going to be laughed out of town?


Archives
2006 | Pacific Harbour, Fiji
2005 | Ti Couz

© 2008 Sam Breach
Jasmine Dragon Pearl Tea Cookies: Recipe

14 Comments:

  • At 3/2/08 18:03, Blogger Casey said…

    those look exquisite--the kind of simple but delicious cookie I love best. i've never had anything that subtle served to me at a Super bowl party--I'm sure at least some of the guests will be thrilled.

     
  • At 3/2/08 18:37, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, I'm doubly-bummed that we didn't make it to the Super Bowl party now.

    But after 2.5 hours waiting our turn to be let inside St. George Spirits for our allotment of Absinthe, all I wanted to do was WARM UP.

     
  • At 3/2/08 19:27, Blogger Anita (Married... with dinner) said…

    Sorry I didn't point you to the right place for these. I managed to give two other guests the recipe so you must have caught me at a scattebrained moment! :)

    The recipe I used is word-for-word the same as the one on RecipeZaar, but I found it here:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/dessert/recipe-earl-grey-tea-cookies-013268

     
  • At 3/2/08 20:51, Blogger Sam said…

    Ok - so the cookies didn't go down so well at the Super Bowl party - they had to battle with bacon-fat burgers and chips. However, surprisingly, the Ahi Tuna Poke Fred and I also made went down a storm and there was only one tablespoon of leftovers much to my disappointment this evening. Oh well. Half the leftover cookies are going to someone else tomorrow, who I know, or at least hope, will appreciate them. Anita - I did't mean to blame you- to the contrary you were my inspiration - sounds like I found the right thing anyway?

     
  • At 3/2/08 20:53, Blogger Sam said…

    PS - Fatemeh - there was so much absinthe (first press) at the SB party - you should have come for that today and gone for your reserevs tomorrow.

     
  • At 3/2/08 22:15, Blogger Allen said…

    I'm so glad you included the WW point count ... I'm living day to day on those pesky points (ugh). Fragrant tea like this is also good infused in cream when making a ganache. Last year I made a variety of truffles for neighbors at Christmas -- one kind used the tea infusion. Gives a nice subtle flavor to the chocolate. I've also used lavender for this purpose.

    The cookies look/sound great --

     
  • At 4/2/08 03:45, Blogger Barbara said…

    These sound exquisite Sam. I've made cookies with green tea but will try these.

     
  • At 4/2/08 05:24, Blogger Beccy said…

    They sound yummy, is there an equivalent to measuring butter in cups?

     
  • At 4/2/08 07:34, Blogger ChrisB said…

    Ha how could these not beat bacon-fat burgers and chips! They look good to me but then anything you cook is good as far as I'm concerned.

     
  • At 4/2/08 08:33, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Missed the cookies; loved the poke; shared the absinthe.

    Shane.

     
  • At 4/2/08 12:10, Blogger nicole said…

    These look amazing - can't wait to try them out! Thank you!

     
  • At 4/3/08 05:14, Blogger Anita said…

    I was browsing the web trying to find a new, interesting cookie recipe and this seemed like a great one to try. I just made them, and their aroma is so great! And the taste as well! Thanks for the recipe!

     
  • At 6/3/08 18:30, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cool site love your recipes!! my cookie recipes is still growing. check it out if u have time. Keep the recipes comming ^_^

    ben

     
  • At 13/3/09 09:37, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, talk about timing am I glad that I came across your blog. I had some tea cookies at a gathering last week and I must say that they were quite distinct and yummy. It had such a unique taste that I can't put my finger on what it was that made these cookies so great! Maybe it was Jasmine? I don't know but your recipe has sparked an interest, maybe these are the same Jasmine cookies that i had. I clicked on your Jasmine Dragon Pearl Tea link and I was overwhelmed with the many choices of Dragon Pearl Tea and Jasmine Dragon Pearl Tea(they look like little pellets). I'm confused as to whether the Dragon Pearl Tea that you used is a type of tea or is it the name brand of a tea company? Before I order any Jasmine Tea (I'm pretty picky about the quality of my teas) can you direct me to which Jasmine Dragon Pearl Tea you used or recommend to make your fantastic recipe!

    Super Thanks Sam..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home