Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Response from Cafe Gratitude

I would like to share this letter from Terces Engelhart, the owner of Cafe Gratitude which she wrote in response to my post of a few days ago...

"Dear Sam,

Someone brought me a print out of Grub Report today that referenced your
site and a blog about your friend Enidd and her husband. I am grateful
that you have a contact opportunity on your site. Thank you.

I appreciate you sharing your friends experience, of course as an owner of
Cafe Gratitude I wish it had gone some other way so we could have resolved
their situation in the moment and not have had both a disappointed couple
and an upset friend.

I certainly wished we had offered Enidd something too, and am a bit amazed
that she was somehow overlooked. That certainly is not our intention. I
can't imagine a single one of our employees not being sympathetic and
caring had they known her situation. For what occured as the lack of our
caring I apologize.

It would be great to know the specifics so we can address the issue as an
opportunity for training and growth. Are you willing to share the date
and time of the occurance? Do you know if Enidd made any requests? Did
she let anyone know she needed help or support? That information would be
most helpful.

Please let your friends know that we apologize for overlooking their needs
that night and are grateful for the opportunity to take responsibility and
learn from our mistake.

We do honestly attempt to reach out to people and to conduct our business
in a conscious caring manner, offering not only food that heals but also
an experience that does that as well.

Again thank you for this opportunity and for your dedication to your
friends, I can hear your upset and again apologize for leaving them with
anything other than an experience of community.
"

Much gratitude,
Terces Engelhart
Cafe Gratitude, owner
A Response from Cafe Gratitude

8 Comments:

  • At 22/9/07 06:29, Blogger Kevin Kossowan said…

    You gotta give them some credit for trying to make good. I'm sure they're glad you posted this.

     
  • At 22/9/07 08:43, Blogger Lisa the Waitress said…

    Hm. I gotta say. As a server, I certainly would have noticed someone crying, asking to use the phone because they had been mugged, and calling the police.

    I understand their tactful letter, but I would like to think I would have been more intuitive and offered assistance if the same thing would have happened in my restaurant. I don't think Enidd should have had to ask for support. Not when that ridiculous-sounding restaurant has all that feel good mamby pamby printed on their menus.

     
  • At 22/9/07 08:58, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with Lisa the Waitress...especially considering Enidd and The Man ran in saying "We've been robbed!" I'm not sure how much more of a cry for help any of the staff needed. I'm thinking this is the one instance when they might just have gotten better service from (dare I say it) McDonald's!

     
  • At 22/9/07 14:58, Blogger A Few Reservations said…

    Every time I've been there, the staff has been wonderful. I'm sorry to hear that your friends had such a cruddy experience, but glad that Cafe G responded. Their hearts are in the right place, which is more than can be said for lots of establishments.

     
  • At 24/9/07 11:31, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate to be cynical, but my immediate thought was that because your post and enidd's,she was doing some damage control.

     
  • At 24/9/07 15:33, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't add anything more than what "Lisa the Waitress" and "Lisa" said.

    Damage Control.

    Hmmm, maybe that could be the name of their next foo-foo tea drink.

     
  • At 25/9/07 05:15, Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said…

    Hi Sam, Enidd, and everyone,

    I am coming to this a bit late, but I believe I have caught up on all the relevant posts and comments. This was a very upsetting episode.

    One thing that I know sometimes happens when folks are confronted with tears is that they are so paralyzed with embarrassment that they can't do the right thing. I have been in this situation myself. Sam, you must know what I am talking about being English and all.

     
  • At 28/9/07 11:30, Blogger Unknown said…

    I have now talked with the staff that was on that night and I just want to be clear about what happened so we can all be informed and choose our interpretation from there. When Enidd and her friend came in they did ask for a phone and one of our servers made a request of the manager on duty and she let them use the phone. She also checked in with Enidd to be sure she wasn't hurt. The police wanted to speak with her as well and she did have a conversation with the police department before returning the phone to Enidds friend. The couple then sat together awaiting the arrival of the police. Our manager did not offer them anything to drink and sees that she could have. Her attention was on the safety of everyone as it was closing time and now she was alerted to some possible danger. She gathered the employees and asked that they remember to not unlock the doors after closing and that they walk home in pairs, especially this evening. The police came and Enidd and her friend left together.
    We have learned from this experience and appreciate the sharing of everyone. Terces Engelhart

     

Post a Comment

<< Home