Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Fatted Calf's Bresaola

picture photograph the fatted calf braesola san francisco 2007 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

Recently I was charged with providing an impromptu picnic for a German guy and a Frenchman. Ruby red, translucent slivers of Bresaola caught my eye at the Fatted Calf stand and I decided to try it out on the Europeans. They went absolutely mad for it and so began our household's current craze for this 'barnyardy', slightly stinky, salty, spicy salumi. It is made using a traditional recipe for Italian air-dried beef using Marin Sun Farm’s grass-fed beef, organic garlic, red wine, spices, sea salt and curing salt. This Braesola is an acquired taste. The Fatted Calf's Taylor tells me that people either love it or hate it? It illicits a reaction like Marmite, I guess. Have you tried it? Perhaps not... You'll be lucky if you can actually buy any, of course, because I have stockpiled it all.



PS Have you checked out The Fatted Calf website recently? It's been given a complete facelift and yours truly took many of the photographs in The Fatted Calf Kitchen.

Transparency: I have been a Fatted Calf regular for two and a half years and I have become friendly with the staff. They know I have a blog. Sometimes they give me free stuff.



Archives
2006 | Hangar One Raspberry Vodka
2005 | Lunch at The Pump Rooms, Bath, England

© 2007 Sam Breach at "Becks & Posh", becksposhnosh.blogspot.com This RSS Feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this material in your news aggregator, or at the aforementioned url, the site you are looking at might be guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact becks.posh.food.blog[AT]gmail[DOT]com to report any suspected violations. Thank you.
The Fatted Calf's Bresaola

15 Comments:

  • At 30/5/07 08:08, Blogger Lisa the Waitress said…

    oh, I'm so jealous! We don't have anyone selling bresaola in Columbus - making their own or selling someone else's, and it is one of my favorite foods. I'm making the Fatted Calf one of my first stops when I hit the ground in San Francisco this November. Thanks for the lovely pix.

     
  • At 30/5/07 09:39, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello! I have been lurking on your site for quite some time now. But this is a subject where I just have to add my 2 cents!
    My father actually makes a kind of carpaccio with Bresaola... on top of a simply dressed, no fuss arugula salat. Drizzled with good olive oil and a few parmesan shavings. Love it!
    It's the best light summer dish you can imagine!

     
  • At 30/5/07 09:44, Blogger ChrisB said…

    Sam I think dad would enjoy this.

     
  • At 30/5/07 09:58, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 30/5/07 10:07, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful photos, Sam. Very impressive. The bresola sounds delicious.

     
  • At 30/5/07 10:42, Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said…

    I dunno, that sounds pretty foolproof delicious to me - I think you are just trying to scare people off so you can have it all to yourself!! :-)

     
  • At 30/5/07 12:17, Blogger Chubbypanda said…

    Mmmm... Marmite. Can't find it anywhere.

    D'ya think the two would go well together?

     
  • At 30/5/07 12:20, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    last time i got some and topped it with wild arugula, pomegranate seeds, burrata, olive oil and lemon juice. it was good but i kept smelling something weird like a dirty rag. i thought maybe there was something wrong with the bresaola i got but now i see it IS stinky.

     
  • At 30/5/07 13:58, Blogger Cate said…

    Mmmm, that looks divine. Now if only The Fatted Calf was local...

     
  • At 30/5/07 15:22, Blogger Figs, Bay, Wine said…

    Sam, bresaola is one of my absolute favorites. Though I need to research better vendors in NYC. The stuff near me is pretty tame. Though with arugula, shaved parmesan, and a lemony vinaigrette, I'm in heaven regardless!

     
  • At 30/5/07 23:41, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm another braesola fan (and like it best the way laura's dad serves it) but i too need to find a decent supplier.

     
  • At 31/5/07 19:27, Blogger shuna fish lydon said…

    glad I live in the East Bay now. Equal opportunity stock piling! Beautiful photo of a yummy meaty thing.

     
  • At 1/6/07 03:40, Blogger Sylvia said…

    Here,in Argentina ,they made a very good brasaola,it is one of my favorite.
    Very intersting pix

     
  • At 1/6/07 07:25, Blogger Chez Us said…

    Thank you for this tip! Love Bresola and it is so hard to find. Can not wait to add it to the dinner table!

     
  • At 4/6/07 14:40, Blogger Truffle said…

    This sounds absolutely delicious! I love this stuff and those slices look particularly gorgeous!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home