Saturday, April 21, 2007

Food Injury of almost Darwinian Award Proportions

Excerpt from Google Chat

11:55 AM f: what happened??
11:55 AM me: something really frickin dumb
i catapaulted myself with a BBQ skewer by accident and now i can hardly move mmy hand - i was up at 5 am crying but the vicodene it took me 2 hours to find is helping
11:56 AM f: oh, sam...
11:56 AM me: i was only trying t build a contraption from which to hang my yogurt to strain using skewers and rubber bands - food injury
11:57 AM f: oooooh - "rubber band" and "skewer" -- two words that should never be in the same sentence.
11:57 AM me: or in my presence

And so it is that today I am trying to one-handedly cook a nine course dinner for 12 people. (Except I have the two hands of Amanda at my disposal too, phew.)

OK - enough of that - here it is - what you have been waiting for the completed, published Fish & Quips spreadsheet. I will be using it to publish a roundup post for St Georges Day on Monday 23rd April and I hope some of you might too. If you have a late entry - let us know in the comments and you might still make the roundup. Thanks for all the great work everyone.




Other Resources & Further Reading
Darwin Awards



© 2007 Sam Breach at "Becks & Posh", becksposhnosh.blogspot.com This RSS Feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this material in your news aggregator, or at the aforementioned url, the site you are looking at might be guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact becks.posh.food.blog[AT]gmail[DOT]com to report any suspected violations. Thank you.
Food Injury of almost Darwinian Award Proportions

20 Comments:

  • At 21/4/07 08:28, Blogger Catherine said…

    Sam - ouch! The things we do for yogurt. Take good care of yourself and good luck with dinner.

     
  • At 21/4/07 09:24, Blogger MizD said…

    Aieaieaie. Note for future reference: take vicodin accessibility lessons from Dr. House. ;-)

    We're back to posting (yay!), and I've got my ode to my British ancestors right here. I'll add it to the database just in case you've a chance to update it later this weekend. Thanks!

     
  • At 21/4/07 10:37, Blogger Civic Center said…

    Poor baby. That sounds really hurty. However, the line about "rubber bands" and "skewer" should never appear in the a sentence together is an instant classic.

     
  • At 21/4/07 11:36, Blogger Culinary Cowgirl said…

    Poor you! Don't let it become too widely known...since you are in the States (and especially the Bay Area) they may make skewers a "lethal weapon"! Feel better soon :)

     
  • At 21/4/07 12:12, Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said…

    Oh Sam, that sounds awful - take care of it! I didn't get the access to the spreadsheet, if you send it to me I'll put myself on there. Good luck with your party!

     
  • At 21/4/07 12:52, Blogger ChrisB said…

    Sam hope its less painful today and hope the dinner is successful (I don't need to say that as I know it will be)

     
  • At 21/4/07 14:35, Blogger Tea said…

    Injury in the line of duty!

    You are a trooper, and I am sure your dinner will be lovely. Hope it heals quickly.

     
  • At 21/4/07 15:00, Blogger Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic said…

    Ouch, that sounds pretty awful, Sam!

    Oops! I screwed up my timing but here are my odes to Brit food and drunk:

    http://www.grubreport.com/blueplatespecial/fikcambridge.html

    and

    http://www.grubreport.com/blueplatespecial/fikcambridge2.html

     
  • At 21/4/07 18:09, Blogger Dagny said…

    Ouch! Hope it heals quickly.

     
  • At 21/4/07 19:35, Blogger Robyn said…

    I am so glad that the skewer didn't go through a more important body part. .__. I hope your hand feels awesome again soon!

     
  • At 21/4/07 19:49, Blogger Deborah Dowd said…

    On my blog I encourage people to play with food... but not sharp objects. Hope you are 100% soon. I wish I had had time to get something together for your Fish & Quips event. But my proof is simple... Yorkshire pudding and stilton cheese with pears... I am not sure any cuisine has anything better to offer!

     
  • At 21/4/07 22:15, Blogger Rebeca said…

    Yikes, hope that feels better soon Sam. I added my entry to the spreadsheet, but I was a bit late, so here is my link:

    http://www.dinnerintheyellowhouse.com/2007/04/toad_in_the_hol.html

    Thanks Sam!

     
  • At 22/4/07 01:27, Blogger Trig said…

    Sorry Sam - I emailed you very early but somehow I missed the spreadsheet. Am I too late?

    My entry is as follows:

    Trig
    Hackney, London http://aidanbrooks.blogspot.com/2007/03/end-of-era.html
    ...it's so good, everyone else in the world wants to steal it from us!

    Cheers
    Trig

     
  • At 22/4/07 02:33, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh dear - hope you are ok!

    http://hesterw.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/04/deconstructing_.html

    Sorry for being a straggler! I will add myself to the google page as well - looking forward to seeing everyone's posts... was a really fun event!

     
  • At 22/4/07 02:54, Blogger Bron said…

    OUCH! That sounds like the stupid kind of thing I'd do to myself.
    Hope it heals well and quickly for you! Take care

     
  • At 22/4/07 06:40, Blogger Ari (Baking and Books) said…

    That sounds like a painful injury! Worse than the time I took off a small chunk of my finger with the kitche knife perhaps. I hope you feel better soon. The worst kinds of injuries are the ones that impair your cooking eh? :(


    Ari (Baking and Books)

     
  • At 22/4/07 10:13, Blogger Andrea said…

    OUCH! Sorry to hear about the skewer incident. Hope you feel better soon.

     
  • At 22/4/07 12:14, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ouch! And now you're on vicodin? Be careful.

     
  • At 22/4/07 12:21, Blogger Sam said…

    thanks for all the good wishes everyone. I went to urgent care and it turns out I had an infection in the puncture so I am on antibiotics now and it is getting better - slowly. I only took a couple of vicodin the day it happened, whn it really really hurt. I stopped that as soon as I went to the doctor and got the antibiotics so all is good.

    cheers

     
  • At 22/4/07 22:47, Blogger Barbara said…

    You don't use a wire strainer lined with cheesecloth for that? Hope it is healing well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home