Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sourdough Monkey Wrangler

Bay Area Blogger of the Week #64

I am really enjoying reading through a blog Sourdough Monkey Wrangler, a food blog out of Oakland I recently stumbled upon. It's funny. Like the vegan cousin who decided he could use February, because the month is so short, as an excuse to eat homemade lamb samosas. Read it and see.

Other new Bay Area food blog discoveries: Two Hungry Bears and a Lazy Tapir | Rancho Gordo's Steve Sando has a site about music and cocktails. I did not know that, did you? MisterLUCKY? I discovered this entirely by accident whilst googling some random thing. | SeeUsEat (site is down at the time of writing) | It won't be about just food, but it's starting off that way. Cranky's blog relaunches with a beautifully wry description of a meal I was lucky enough to be a part of.

And I am saving the best news for last: BlogSoop San Francisco has launched and it is awesome! It collects blogger reviews of local restaurants and captures them on a nifty webpage, all in one place. I am smitten. Check it out, it's great!





© 2007 Sam Breach at "Becks & Posh", becksposhnosh.blogspot.com This RSS Feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this material in your news aggregator, or at the aforementioned url, the site you are looking at might be guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact becks.posh.food.blog[AT]gmail[DOT]com to report any suspected violations. Thank you.
Sourdough Monkey Wrangler

8 Comments:

  • At 11/3/07 10:55, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The perfect burrito?

    A question. As a lover of proper Mexican food I find the idea of Mexican burritos an anathema. How can a burrito be Mexican? And can the burrito be good? As I live in London I have very little exposure to burritos.

    Are they good? Do you have any tips on how to make the perfect burrito? Please let me know...

    A lover of Mexican food...

     
  • At 11/3/07 11:04, Blogger Sam said…

    Hello anonymous

    As an ex Londoner I know how difficult it could be (at least when I lived there) to get good Mexican food in Britain. In fact, I would go so far as to say all the Mexican food I had in the UK was appalling. I have visited Mexico twice and had excellent food there, as well as being lucky here in the Bay area to be able to get good renditions of it. We are also indebted to Mexican immigrants who cook in many of our local restaurants.

    Burritos, as I understand it, are a San Francisco invention based on Mexican food. They are prevalent here in the Bay area and there is even a local blog dedicated to them.

    As for me, I don't care for Burritos myself, I find them too stodgy and heavy, they aren't my cup of tea'. I am more of a taco girl myself so I unfortunately I am not the person to ask for burrito making tips.

    good luck in your search for how to make the perfect burrito!

    Sam

     
  • At 11/3/07 14:18, Blogger Dagny said…

    First of all, Sam, thanks for all the great links.

    Secondly, as a native Californian, let me try to clear up the burrito question. It has always been my understanding that burritos were created in the Southwest and northern Mexico. Then I went to read this article to make sure I remembered correctly.

    Although I am a native of the Bay area, I do not really enjoy the burritos here. There's just too much stuff in them. I instead like the ones from the Roberto's chain of taquerias in San Diego. Unless you request otherwise or it is indicated on the menu, the burritos only contain meat. Because there is not all the other stuff, their burritos are about half the size of the ones you typically find in San Francisco.

     
  • At 11/3/07 19:53, Blogger Monkey Wrangler said…

    Sam, jeez thanks! I had to wince a bit at the mention, because of course it is flattering and what most bloggers want, but I'm a bit afraid of more folks knowing how much of a freak I am. Guess I'll get over it. And Rohan says toodles!

     
  • At 11/3/07 19:58, Blogger Sam said…

    thanks for the calrification Dagny!

    D man - I didn't mean to make you wince - but you put out there - we all do - and we'll all just have to be freaks together eh?

    Lamb eating vegan is a classic. Loved it.

     
  • At 12/3/07 10:25, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mr Lucky is a million years old and hasn't been updated in about 5 years. Now I better go check it out again and clean it up. Yikes!

     
  • At 12/3/07 11:18, Blogger cranky said…

    Thanks for the mention, Sam. Is this like AA or Weight Watchers? I'm public now, so I guess I have to keep showing up.

     
  • At 20/3/07 13:00, Blogger FJKramer said…

    thanks for the tips to all your blog discoveries.

    I clicked on over to blog soop and was immediately enthralled, although I didn't care for their answer about how they selected the blogs they used for the reviews.

    "We tend to include only the better blogs."

    Eeek. I'm sure they didn't mean to say something so blatantly blogist as that!

    Maybe they should say blogs that fit their criteria, or have a certain focus or whatever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home