Monday, October 16, 2006

World Bread Day 2006

Simple Whole-wheat

basic wholewhat bread from dan leppard's recipe in the cook's book

In recognition of World Bread Day 2006, and prompted by blogger, Zorra, at Kochtopf, I decided to make a loaf of bread yesterday. I went with new favourite, Dan Lepard, using his simple whole-wheat recipe from The Cook's Book. The most exciting part of equation, for me, was using a fairly local flour - almost impossible to come by in these parts, from A Full Belly Farm. I was hoarding that flour for a special occasion - and what could be more special than a world day dedicated to my favourite comfort food? Unfortunately I didn't find the following useful information about A Full Belly's flour until after the baking was complete:
For a successful bread add a small amount (up to 8% to achieve the ideal protein content of 14-15%) vital wheat gluten flour, too. A small amount of enzyme active barley or wheat malt (0.3% of the total flour) will also improve bread. Sprouting the wheat will create the same effect as a purchased enzyme or malt. The wheat is ground on a stone mill grinder that preserves the bran and wheat germ. Sonora wheat was brought to California by Spanish missionaries and grown in and around the missions circa 1820. It was grown in Sonora, Mexico in the 1770's.
What the heck? That all sounds way too complicated for a Sunday morning with a mild hangover. Anyway, I personally didn't have a problem with the end result anyway, despite not adhering to the recommendations. I wouldn't call it unsuccessful. In fact I thought it was delicious. True, it is a dense, heavy, brick-like bread that reminds me of the 80s, hippies, whole-food stores, Cranks, vegetarians and Neals Yard Bakery. And you know what, as such, it made me just a little bit homesick and maybe a little agesick (if there is such a thing) too...




Archives
2005 | A Nice Day for a French Wedding
2004 | A Taste of Turkey

World Bread Day '06

| |
World Bread Day 2006

8 Comments:

  • At 16/10/06 08:37, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Hip, hip, hippie hooray! I know that flour, and it looks like you've done well.

     
  • At 16/10/06 11:35, Blogger Alanna Kellogg said…

    Heavy bread is my favorite too. You might check before using vital wheat gluten: I'm pretty sure it adds lightness to bread too which is not something it sounds like you'd want.

     
  • At 16/10/06 13:35, Blogger krista said…

    This bread looks very nice!

     
  • At 16/10/06 18:35, Blogger shuna fish lydon said…

    This flour is fantastic. Go figure, when I got a hold of some, I went back to my roots: traditional Irish Soda Bread compleate with home soured milk.

    I like the loaf. But then again I was born in 1968...

     
  • At 16/10/06 19:08, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't you just love Dan Lepard?!

    Beautiful loaf!

     
  • At 17/10/06 00:42, Blogger Beccy said…

    Looks yummy Sam. It actually looks like some Irish breads you can get here.

     
  • At 17/10/06 07:10, Blogger wheresmymind said…

    I'd like some for breakfast please :D

     
  • At 21/10/06 12:06, Blogger Sam said…

    cookie - i wish i was closer because i would buy more

    shelly
    i think tha name cranks just about sums it up. but i have to say i ised to frequent the place a lot in my vegan/veggie days

    ak - yeah - no lightness needed. give me my bread brick!

    krista - i froze it and am eating it one day at a time.

    shuna - it is - i have some real irish soda in my pantry - let m know if you need some. I actually dont really like soda bread myself, but that 's my problem.

    ivonne - doesn't everyone love Dan? From the comments on this blog in the past I would say he is almost ready t be a pin-up star.

    scott - i am really glad this elegant type of bread seems to be so popular.

    beccy - but it doesnt taste like them, right?

    wmm - there are still a couple of slices left in the freezer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home