Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Lovely Jubbly Bubbly

The announcement of Wine Blogging Wednesday #25:

CHAMPAGNE, Hic!

fill this empty champagne glass for wine blogging wednesday edition number 25
Fill up your Flutes...


Can you believe that Wine Blogging Wednesday, an online, worldwide, community wine appreciation event started by Lenndevours more than two years ago has not, until now, covered my favourite type of wine, Champagne? Let's correct this anomoly right away, shall we?

How it Works:

Choose a bottle of Champagne within your budget. That's Champagne, folks, not sparkling wine. Champagne comes only from the Champagne region of France.

Open, taste, drink your Champagne. Take notes, reflecting upon the colour, the type of bubbles, the nose the taste.

If you are extra adventurous, try pairing your champagne with some food and see how that works too. By no means is this a requirement of the challenge, just a suggestion for if you feel so inclined. [Thanks to Andrew from Spittoon who prepared some champagne pairing notes to help us with this task.]

Write a post for your blog, detailing your champagne experience and sharing any other champagne stories you would like to admit to. Provide any background information on the vineyard, the producers and the region your chosen fizz comes from, if you can find it. How much did it cost you? Was it worth the cost? Anything else? Publishing date will be Wednesday 13th September, 2006 and the roundup will appear on this blog sometime thereafter.

To be included in the roundup, send an email to french.fizz AT gmail DOT com on Wednesday 13th September 2006 with the following information:
- your post url
- your name or preferred identity
- your blog name
- your location

Not a wine expert?
No worries, neither am I. This event is open to abdsolutely every one who likes to indulge in a glass of Champers. Exploring your feelings about wine in this way is a great way to increase your confidence and expand your knowledge of wine.

An Extra Thought: I am hoping to find a champagne from a smaller, lesser known producer. Extra Brownie Points to any other bloggers who introduce us to champagnes other than the "grand marques" or "big names".



PS. I am raising a glass to my dad in England today, Happy Birthday, Dad! Don't be suprised to hear a champagne cork popping in Bristol this evening.



Suggested Technorati/Flickr Tags for the event:

| | |
Lovely Jubbly Bubbly

15 Comments:

  • At 8/8/06 11:52, Blogger Derrick said…

    As I said last night, I now look for _any_ excuse to open a bottle of bubbly, preferably with a long metal object :)

     
  • At 8/8/06 12:34, Blogger Cerebrum said…

    Oooooooo!:-)

     
  • At 9/8/06 09:22, Blogger Dagny said…

    Hmmm. So many reasons to drink champagne...

     
  • At 9/8/06 11:47, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my favourite tipple as you know remember my ... birthday and the case of champagne you all bought for me

     
  • At 9/8/06 14:46, Blogger Rachael Narins said…

    Uh...I just tried to post a comment and for some reason it opened a link and I think it posted on FBS...I'd better go check that. Suspicious since I have never posted to Blogger from this computer!

    Weird.

    Okay...

     
  • At 10/8/06 05:15, Blogger Alex said…

    I think it's going to be bubbly and shellfish for me!

     
  • At 10/8/06 13:22, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam,

    I'm not a real friend of Champagne, I prefer the german or spanish vintage " Sekt " or sparkling wine.

    Though I found a nice " Food for thought " on BBC :-))

    "In victory, you deserve Champagne; in defeat, you need it."

    Napoleon Bonaparte

     
  • At 11/8/06 10:13, Blogger Rob said…

    I hope you all support Jay Z in his boycott of Cristal. ;~P

     
  • At 11/8/06 14:01, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the idea of Wine Blogging Wednesdays! Every blog I read seems to have some sort of themed day of the week, but yours is by far the most informative, and its certainly put a smile on my face. Good for you! Well done!

     
  • At 13/8/06 18:54, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great theme Sam. Maybe this is finally the time I try that Salon I've been eyeing at D&M all these years.

    CD

     
  • At 19/8/06 03:28, Blogger Julian said…

    Champagne is what Bubble Brothers do (well, started by doing). Hope you won't mind, then, if someone in the trade joins in - subject to my remembering. Small independent suppliers is all we have to offer!

     
  • At 19/8/06 12:34, Blogger thomas said…

    A toast to the Premiership that started today!

     
  • At 22/8/06 08:51, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a little late to the party, but still looking forward to participating. I was actually in Champagne just over a week ago where we visited Moet & Chandon and a great small organic producer, called Andre Beaufort. I even wrote about it in my blog. I will definitely be opening at least one of the five bottles that we bought for WTW. Great choice - yeah for the bubbly! :)

     
  • At 22/8/06 10:40, Blogger Libbycookie said…

    This will be my first time participating - and I adore Champagne, hurray! Thank you for hosting.

     
  • At 25/3/08 07:26, Blogger Jennifer Wilson said…

    This is a great post - I have a whole blog dedicated to the wonderful idea of drinking champagne on wednesdays - though we have been known to cheat every other week with a bottle of proseco! Check it out if you like: www.champagnewednesdays.com
    Love your blog!
    Jen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home