Oranges are Not the Only Fruit
Photograph by Andrew Barrow
New for 2006, is a fresh challenge geared towards bloggers and internet users interested in photographing food, started by myself and Andrew Barrow from Spittoon.
Unlike other blogging events, the roundup for will take part on Flickr, so you don't even have to have a blog to join in. Each Challenge will last for 6 weeks and will have its own Flickr Group where entries can be loaded, viewed and commented upon.
The Flickr page for the inaugural challenge, Oranges are Not the Only Fruit, can be found here and Andrew's announcement here.
So, what do you need to do to get involved?
1) Join Flickr. (Membership is free) You can then join the Foodography 1 Group and load up your entry.
2) Spend some time thinking about the title of the challenge: Oranges are Not the Only Fruit. How could you express that sentence, creatively, in a picture, using your camera? Ask yourself some questions: How many meanings are there for the word 'fruit'? How many ways could you use the colour orange? What different scenarios can you think of for 'not being the only one'?
3) Try not to be lazy. Meet the challenge head-on. Instead of picking a photo from your personal archives that will fit with the theme, actually go and shoot something specific and unique. The less generic, the more interesting your picture will be.
4) Do not enter if you are afraid of criticism. Part of the reason for setting up this event is so that we can seek to improve our photography. By entering your photograph into please be aware that you are opening yourself up to constructive criticism. Don't be afraid! This is a good thing and you will be welcome to critique others' photos too.
5) If you are technically inclined, include the EXIF data with your jpeg when you upload your picture to Flickr. For me, this happens automatically - see an example here. You might also like to tell us if you used any other software to digitally adjust your photographs after they had been taken.
6) Because we are rounding up on Flickr, it doesn't mean you can't also publish your photograph on your blog. You are, if you would like, encouraged to share the story of your entry with your regular blog readers too.
7) Most of all - make sure you have fun with this project and enjoy using your imagination to produce a compelling image. Try and come up with an idea by yourself, but if you are really stuck you could always look at these pictures for a little extra inspiration.
PS. We plan to have events overlap. So look for the next challenge theme, here at Becks & Posh, in 4 weeks time. In the meantime, you still have until February 12th to upload pictures for this, the first challenge.
|Archive Alert! On this date in 2005 we visited Taylors Automatic Refresher at The Ferry Building Location.|
Food | Foodography | Foodography 1 | Oranges | Photography Foodography 1