Thursday, December 08, 2005

Will This Be The Man I'll Marry?

David Lebovitz?

photograph picture the great book of chocolate by David Lebovitz

Look! Just look! as well as greeting with me with a peck on each cheek - David penned me French chocolate kisses, exclamated bisous and a big heart pierced with what I can only imagine is a golden arrow. He said we should tie the knot. I blushed afterall, it's not long since we first met in Paris.

Last night I went to David's Chocolate Holiday Treats Cooking Class at Sur La Table in San Francisco. I have to admit, he would be a very useful person to have around the house, especially in the kitchen. I picked up all sorts of tips from him - decadent Parisian Hot Chocolate doesn't contain cream, only use unsweetened cocoa powder in recipes, Scharffen Burger cocoa nibs are currently unavailable so try Dagoba instead. The list goes on: Use Dutch Process Cocoa with baking powder and non-Dutch with baking soda, attach your sugar thermometer inside the pan before you start the heating process (I always wondered what that clip was for), spray oil isn't allowed at Chez Panisse, but David thinks it is great, you can put your baking trays and tins directly over the heat (why on earth didn't I think of that?) and if you want to check your thermometer is working, heat it up in a pan of water, which should start boiling at 212F.

What do you think? How romantic would it be? David and I could have the world's first Online Food Bloggers Wedding. We could have webcams set up everywhere so you could all watch in. Bloggers could send us wedding cookies from all over the world in celebration. Wouldn't it be great?

Imagine having a husband who would rustle you up a tray of Chocolate Buttercrunch Toffee in a matter of minutes. Imagine a man who would understand that you wanted a treat without breaking the calorie-bank and therefore bake you a low fat but delicious Banana Chocolate Upside Down Cake. Imagine a man man-enough to appreciate the power of prunes thereby making you a Gateau Bastille to sumptuously top off your dinner.

But what about my dear, sweet Fred? As much as I adore David, as seductive as his cooking skills are and as tempting as the blue-covered little book of official documents he flashed infront of my eyes, might be, I have to gracefully decline. Afterall, he only really wants me for my European passport. Hmmmph!



PS I was delighted, last night, to meet two new bloggers: Brett from one of my favourite new blogs In Praise of Sardines, is a chef living in San Francisco who is passionate about Spanish and Indian food and keeps publishing great tips about products and their sources in the Bay Area. I have been learning something new from him almost every time I visit. Also, one of the best blog names around, Marc from Mental Masala, resides over in the East Bay. Check him out too. Finally, I thought Shauna from Gluten Free Girl would love to know that David gave her a big name check in our class as he spoke about substituting flour for cocoa in one of his recipes, for people with allergies.

PPS. Happy Birthday, today, to my gorgeous, lovely granny in England.

Archive Alert! On this date in 2004: The beginning of my love affair with Hangar One Vodka.

| | | | |
Will This Be The Man I'll Marry?

16 Comments:

  • At 8/12/05 11:44, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Oh rats, you're calling it off? Monkey Gland and I were going to be your best man and best woman.
    Happy birthday to your watercoloring granny!

     
  • At 8/12/05 11:50, Blogger Sam said…

    my granny watercolours.

     
  • At 8/12/05 12:49, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Daumn, gout iut wroung. Nout proupeur Briut-liuke speulliung.

     
  • At 8/12/05 16:05, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    She not making this story up. I was there when it happened. David actually did propose to Sam. I get sentimental tears in my eyes just thinking about it.

     
  • At 8/12/05 17:57, Blogger Annette Tan said…

    No worries about the meme Sam. Glad you stopped by my way :-)

     
  • At 8/12/05 18:33, Blogger Delphine said…

    Fred ,if you need support for cooking lessons we will help with pleasure.


    huhu.

     
  • At 8/12/05 19:17, Blogger eat stuff said…

    Sam
    I am glad some people in America know how to spell ;)
    colour, favour, flavour, mum, tonight, civilisation, theorise,ionise


    LOL

     
  • At 8/12/05 22:11, Blogger Shauna said…

    Sam! Thank you so much for mentioning me in this post. Funny, I'm just finishing up mine about meeting David in Seattle. However (and you can read about this in my post), I have to inform you that he announced our marriage on Monday night. So, I have dibs. And since you're not really planning on throwing over Fred anyway....

     
  • At 9/12/05 01:44, Blogger Monkey Gland said…

    Hey Cookie, don't drag me into this torrid chocolaty affair! Putting aside an Englishman's natural feeling towards a frenchman ;-)I reckon our Fred has nothing to fear. My money's on him if it ever comes down to a duel!

     
  • At 9/12/05 02:35, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam, sounds like you had a great time! How was the chocolate financiers? I think the fee is reasonable for that kind of course - I'm sure you'd pay more in the UK (or in Japan).

    Happy belated birthday to your grand mother!

     
  • At 9/12/05 08:06, Blogger Sam said…

    ha Brett - perhaps - do you think - Davids's sentiments were actually genuine?

    Jennifer - I am not sure - afterall, what is the point of all the chocolate you can eat without the sex?

    Eggy - thank you

    Del4yo - huhu indeed. will you be at the usual spot on Friday or are you going to the company party?

    Clare - I do have a bit of a head start, being not an American and all. Do you think if I marry David and get a blue passport, my spelling will all be up the spout?

    Shauna. I have no reason why he'd be interested in you. You don't have a red passport do you? I am waiting to read more about it from you.

    Monkey - maybe they can duel next time we are in Paris. With only "French Sticks" as weapons. Psst - the rest of the world doesn't know what a French Stick is)

    Keiko - the financiers were good and seemed easy to make.David said they taste even better if you leave them a couple of days. I think I have all the ingredients in the house to make a batch. Maybe I should go whip up a few...?

     
  • At 9/12/05 11:35, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    It better not be anything like a French letter!
    (David's beginning to sound a bit promiscuous, BTW)

     
  • At 9/12/05 14:58, Blogger Guy said…

    Just as well, Fred would have snapped the boy like a cheap Italian cigarette, cocoa powder or no.

    Hugs!

     
  • At 9/12/05 19:06, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said…

    LOLOL! I loved this post. Sure wish I'd been at that class--sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing all the tips.

     
  • At 9/12/05 22:31, Blogger Shauna said…

    Sam! As though he'd need a passport to be interested in me! I'm shocked by your cavalier attitude.

    Ah well, you can read all about it in my post now.

    Maybe we can share him....

     
  • At 20/3/06 18:16, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I found your site while looking for wedding planning, wedding gifts and wedding ideas. Even though you didn't have exactly what I was looking for I did get some ideas. Check out my link here if you need any wedding info/ideas for your use. You'd be surprised how cheap some of these items really are. I sure was!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home