Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Go on- Treat Yourself!

Two New Chocolate Addictions

photograph picture Montezuma's dark chocolate geranium orange organic and Vosges Black pear bar

I picked up a bar of the British-made Montezuma's Organic, Geranium & Orange Dark Chocolate a couple of weeks ago when I was visiting Avoca at Powerscourt in Ireland. The delightful, mild, perfumed overtones that hit you when you open up the box are even more subtle when you bite into and taste this gorgeous, slightly floral, dark chocolate bar. The emphasis is definitely more flower power than citrus fruit and none of the flavours are overpowering. Oh yumminess of all yummy. It doesn't last long. You had better buy a few. Save up your pocket money first, though, it's Euro 3.80 per bar. But heh - it's a small price to pay for such exquisite deliciousness.

The other day I was on Polk street and decided to drop-in on one of my favourite Food stores, Cheese Plus, formerly known (to me) as Leonards. This store is under new management and striking changes have been implemented. Gone is the mix-mash of International oddities I was kind of fond of. In there place are well presented luxurious food items I am sure I will get equally attached to. They even sell great-looking fresh sandwiches which I'll have to check out one lunchtime.

The chocolate selection caught my eye. None more than the Vosges Black Pearl Bar, flavoured with ginger, wasabi and black sesame seed. Ginger is the dominant flavour, the wasabi is less detectable and the sesame seeds give it the bar a lovely, slightly crunchy texture. A very nice, spicy bar for $5.99.



Cheese Plus: 2001 Polk St, San Francisco, CA 94109 (415) 921-2001

PS - If you are a Food Blogger who entered DMBLGIT, please read this post from Moira of Who Wants Seconds?

Archive Alert! On this date in 2004 we were sharing our experiences of making Thanksgiving sweets, candies and treats.

| | |
Go on- Treat Yourself!

8 Comments:

  • At 23/11/05 12:19, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam -
    I was just in Chicago and stopped at the Vosges shop on Michigan Ave.

    They do some very interesting truffles, and I bought C a box called "Zion" -- it's all the flavors of Jamaica, like rum, hemp, red stripe, allspice, Blue Mtn coffee, etc. Very unique.

     
  • At 23/11/05 15:14, Blogger susan said…

    ooh vosges. very cool branding and excellent chocolates. i tried the oaxaca bar (with pasilla and guajillo chilies). i think this was a bittersweet chocolate. the heat hit subtlely at the end. delicious! i think this would be good for melting a piece into hot chocolate.

     
  • At 23/11/05 16:23, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm having a difficult time embracing the new "Leonards." I agree with you there's more order--thank gawd some of the quality staff from the halcyon days are still here--that's what makes this place! I know I'll come to my senses soon. Change is good, right?!

     
  • At 23/11/05 18:12, Blogger Sam said…

    jeanne - I am not sure change is so good when it no longer involves Marmite:) I am trying to keep a positive face on the issue. I am sure if the shop had previously been a hardware store then we would all be embracing the new management and the new store. It is has certainly lost some of its "treasure-troveness". We just have to look upon it as a different thing that has its own merits. They do now stock dried cured duck breast slices which I appreciate (even though a member of their new staff dropped a bunch of dried flowers on my head whilst I was retrieving it from the refigerator. Long story - better not to ask.)

    Yoony. If I am not mistaken I have a bar of that too, hidden in my pantry, waiting for a future tasting.

    Fatemeh - did he like them? Did he share? Hemp sounds "interesting". What is red stripe? You mean as in the beer?????

     
  • At 23/11/05 18:36, Blogger Rose said…

    Sam,

    I've been buying Vosges chocolate bars as "treats" for myself every so often--if I can't afford a new handbag, this will suffice :-)

    They have a store in Soho, on Spring Street in addition to their Chicago headquarters. One of my favorite things during the holidays is do a bit of window shopping in Soho and then end the day at the shop for a cup of their Aztec Elixer hot chocolate.

    I've tasted the Black Pearl bar before (and its a real nice bit of chocolate), but my favorite is the Red Fire bar. It's got this incredible spicey "kick" as an aftertaste. It's not for everyone, as I found out with my dad, but I happen to love the blend of chilis and cinnamon with the dark chocolate.

    I'd love to try the Vosge truffles, but it's out of my price range, so I always end up getting the bars. One of these days when I hit that jackpot...

     
  • At 23/11/05 18:44, Blogger Sam said…

    Rose - maybe you could make a little handbag out of the empty boxes?

     
  • At 24/11/05 02:47, Blogger David said…

    I agree, the Vosges Aztac Elixer is great! Will be in Chicago soon and I always visit the 'mothership' store of Vosges. Glad you found some delicious chocolate bars for snacking...

     
  • At 25/11/05 04:49, Blogger Grace Ediza Virlouvet said…

    yumm! they are always great!
    Love them.. love them.. especially bitter ones! after coffe :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home