Friday, May 13, 2005

Happy Birthday to Us

(Incorporating Quiz Question 7)
photograph picture Becks & Posh Blog 1st Birthday Candle

I can hardly believe my blog is a year old today. What started as an attempt by a colleague to shut me up from talking about restaurants and food all the time, seems to have turned into some kind of mild obsession. But what a year it has been. For my first 3 months I blogged blindly, totally unaware of the community associated with this amazing pastime. I hardly even looked at another blog, let alone a food one. Sometime in August 2004 I discovered Life begins at 30 and then, slowly, everyone else's food blogs. The realisation of the community was the icing on the cake!

I have learnt so much, experienced so much and made so many friends, both virtually and in person through this hobby. It's really hard to believe that when I joined Site Meter on August 29th, 2004, only 683 people had viewed my blogger profile in total, after a full 3 months of blogging. Now, nine months later, I have around that number of visitors every single day. I know this figure is nowhere near the long-established, more famous food bloggers out there, but this number of daily visitors just blows little old me me away, nonetheless.

I had originally intended to host a little party as a celebration, inviting all of my local food blog friends around at the weekend for a homemade English afternoon tea. (You know me by now, always one to foist my Englishness on everyone). But it has been one of those rare weeks when work got in the way of life. It doesn't happen to me often, and I get paid overtime, so I can't complain too loudly.

In closing, (afterall I have to rush back to work) I want to thank you, all my readers, for joining me on this incredible journey of food discovery. I hope you will stick with me as long as I can keep this up. I have learnt many things from your comments. I hope you have been able to take something away with you from this site too. Thank you. It's been great so far. (So who's up for another year of this mularky???)

photograph picture Becks & Posh Blog 1st Birthday Visitor Stats

Quiz Question 7: In three parts. Who do I blame for telling me how to start a blog and sending me down this crazy blogging path? Which restaurant did I visit for my first ever review, and which seven languages did we use to toast each other during our dinner.

posted in and and and
Happy Birthday to Us

19 Comments:

  • At 13/5/05 08:02, Blogger Alice said…

    Happy Birthday to Becks & Posh!!! I can't even tell you how much I enjoy your blog and how it's changed my life ! Your blog is the Big Mama of my blog, and having a blog is the closest thing to having a child for me!!!!

    Thanks for all the hard work you put into your blog and all the fun and wonderful information you share with us!!

     
  • At 13/5/05 08:36, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy, happy birthday and many more!

     
  • At 13/5/05 10:27, Blogger Amy Sherman said…

    Congrats and keep on cookin'

     
  • At 13/5/05 10:29, Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said…

    That is wonderful! I'm so glad that you stuck it out and are growing with each month. You deserve it immensely.

     
  • At 13/5/05 10:30, Blogger Jennifer Maiser said…

    Congrats Sam - you have really done all of us food bloggers proud, and the community is better because you are one of us! Happy Blog Birthday.

     
  • At 13/5/05 11:07, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Sam,
    congratulations also from Oliver and myself! We have been enjoying Becks & Posh ever since we discovered the world of food-blogs - and truly love your style! All the best for the future :)

     
  • At 13/5/05 11:19, Blogger Estelle Tracy said…

    Happy bithday! Hopefully there will be more to come!

     
  • At 13/5/05 15:37, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday, Sam. Your site makes me miss the richness of the Bay Area, in a good way!

     
  • At 13/5/05 18:37, Blogger Lady Amalthea said…

    Congrats and happy blog birthday! Throw a belated party.

    I just discovered your blog and I'm loving it. Keep it coming.

     
  • At 13/5/05 20:33, Blogger Guy said…

    Yeah !!! Congratulations on a year well done. You've not only kept it together, but maintained a grade of excellence and pace unparalleled. Your presence has inspired others and drawn the food blogging community together. You are a pillar to this society and have earned every last bit of being Queen. I say, good health to you and yours. May your future be full of the same, long life and family love. Rock on baby.

    Senior Biggles

     
  • At 13/5/05 21:03, Blogger Suebob said…

    Happy Birthday to you! I love your blog - everything from your photo to the posts give it such a sense of fun.

    And thanks ever so for Food Blog S'cool. It has helped my blog so much!

    Suebob

     
  • At 13/5/05 23:16, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday! On your first anniversary, I've found my way to your blog for the first time. I was using google to search for "Il Davide" and here I am. We (neither English or French) live just south of downtown San Rafael and are so pleased to find sensible, descriptive reviews of some of the restaurants here. I can't wait to root through the archives. Thank you!

     
  • At 14/5/05 00:11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This blog rules. Unlike ep3..., eh, Sammie??? :)

    Come to the BBQ on Sunday, Sammie. You will be missed if you don't!!!

    Gibby

     
  • At 14/5/05 07:28, Blogger Sam said…

    You guys. you bring tears to my eyes.
    Thank you for your kindness. I am overwhelmed. Really.

     
  • At 14/5/05 08:28, Blogger Brenda said…

    Congrats, Sam! You have a great blog - always fun and intresting! Your work and effort really pay off.

    Here's to many more!

    Brenda

     
  • At 14/5/05 16:48, Blogger shuna fish lydon said…

    wow, one year. I feel very connected to you as we got in trouble on chowhound around the same time in the same way and then you were such a support for me to blog myself and now...omygoodness a class together!!
    Also it should really be noted here that YOU started the Blog School for people as lost as me and that was an incredible addition to this amazing community.
    Thank you for Becks & Posh, astute and silly, delicious and delightful, prolific and exciting.
    Happy Birthday one year old!

     
  • At 15/5/05 06:30, Blogger Reid said…

    Hi Sam,

    Congrats on your first blog birthday and thanks for sharing your corner of the world with all of us! =)

    Here's to many more!

     
  • At 15/5/05 11:58, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam - happy happy birthday to Becks & Posh!! You've been my inspiration and you always will be.

     
  • At 15/5/05 16:35, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats, and happy blog birthday!

    With the enthuasiasm you have for food-blogging, I have no doubt there will be many more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home