Saturday, February 12, 2005

Paper Chef, February 2003

I was extremely proud, when earlier in the week I learnt that I had won the February Round of Owen's wonderful Paper Chef competition judged by Canada's Domestic Goddess. As a winner, I follow in the footsteps of two of the best, a pair of seasoned bloggers whom I both respect and admire. Viv and Jennifer showed a huge amount of support and hospitality towards me when I first arrived on the food blogging scene, and as I stand up on the podium to accept this honour, I would like to thank them for their encouragement on my blogging journey.

February's challenge required creating something to eat using four ingredients: oranges - cinnamon - creme fraiche and whole wheat flour. My winning entry can be revisited here

As I take my final bow, I would like to thank all the other contestants, for their wonderful, inspiring entries too. Check them out in the round up. The first Paper Chef only had - three - entries, and as it is my favourite of all the food blogging challenges, I am delighted it is catching on in the community.

From now on, I will wear this badge on my blog with pride.



And thanks again to Owen, for coming up with this marvelous idea in the first place!
Paper Chef, February 2003

11 Comments:

  • At 12/2/05 09:29, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations. Looks great. Want a job ?

     
  • At 12/2/05 09:29, Blogger Owen said…

    Congratulations, Sam! I was very happy that you won and am delighted that you like it so much.

    It has also been great having you arrive on the food blog scene. We need more ex-pat Brits in the Bay Area writing about food! (Technically I am not an ex-pat Brit since I was born here, but 25 years growing up in England sort of counts as being an ex-pat!)

     
  • At 12/2/05 09:33, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done Sam; I think you owe your interest in food to me, for allowing you to cook and experiment from an early age( not of course an excuse for me to get out of cooking!!) mum

     
  • At 12/2/05 09:46, Blogger Sam said…

    haddock - thanks - I think I already have a job keeping this food blog up to date!

    Owen - I didn't realise you had the Brit connection. I look forward to reading some of your British food memoirs at Tomatilla

    Yes mum - I do owe my interest to you - and I am sure you loved getting out of it having to do it yourself. I think I was less than 10 when you showed me to get the giblets out and clean the chicken. I also have to thank you for all the overboiled cabbage and sprouts which was the real reason for my learning to cook, myself :) [Hey everyone - Don't blame mum for that, blame British society, and rest assured things have changed drastically since those days]
    Everyone - I really have to thank my mum for letting me run wild in the kitchen, she would let me experiment with baking to my hearts content. I have to get her to send me some photos of my early creations to feature as retrospectives on this blog one day.

     
  • At 12/2/05 11:43, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    congrats, sam! Yummy, yummy cheesething!
    --meriko

     
  • At 12/2/05 15:01, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats again, Sam- great acceptance speech!

    Moira

     
  • At 12/2/05 18:33, Blogger Linda said…

    Congratulations! Well done and great job in general with this blog. I enjoy it very much!

     
  • At 12/2/05 20:21, Blogger Delphine said…

    BRAVO SAM!

    Congratulations, you deserved it!

     
  • At 12/2/05 20:32, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that gluhwein and crackers sure looked good. Congrats!

     
  • At 13/2/05 08:03, Blogger Cerebrum said…

    A job well done Sam! You deserved it, congrats!

     
  • At 14/2/05 03:57, Blogger Jeanne said…

    Congratulations! That was sooooo well deserved - an inspired use of the ingredients to make my favourite thing - a cheese course! You're right to wear the winner's badge with pride - you've earned it...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home