Thursday, July 16, 2009

MockTails of the City #1: The Alembic

In which I make my way around the City searching for sophisticated yet sober cocktails.

I might be pregnant, I might be an alcoholic, I might have a medical condition, I might not like the taste of alcohol, I might be training for a marathon, I might be taking antibiotics, I might need a clear head tomorrow morning, I might be driving or I might have another good reason to not be drinking tonight. If I am treating myself to a night out, but I choose to avoid alcohol, it doesn't mean I want to avoid indulging in an interesting well-crafted drink, the likes of which I wouldn't usually serve up at home. To the contrary, I love to be surprised. And I have started a search for the most sympathetic bartenders and the best non-alcoholic drinks in all of San Francisco...


The Alembic:
725 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA 94117 (415) 666-0822
Visit: July 2009
Menu: No non-alcholic cocktails or drinks listed.
Bartender's reaction: Unsympathetic and unenthusiastic. Needed to be cojoled.
Drink: Initial disinterest eventually resulted in an absolutely fantastic mystery mocktail topped with a little baby cilantro. So delicious, I had a second.
Price: $3 at the bar, $4 at the dinner table, as far as we recall (thanks Fatemeh).



Local Resources
My previous Alembic visit couldn't have been more different.

Archives
2008picture photograph Thomas keller recipe for Confit Biyaldi the ratatouille recipe used in the movie by Pixar 2007 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/ 2006picture photograph Summer Pudding 2006 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

© 2009 Sam Breach
MockTails of the City #1: The Alembic

15 Comments:

  • At 16/7/09 20:31, Anonymous Fatemeh said…

    Sam, I think it would be fair to share that the drink was priced VERY reasonably at $3 at the bar (and if I recall correctly, $4 at the dinner table)

    But yes, while he was a bit taken aback (this is a bar on Haight Street, after all), he ultimately delivered a mocktail that I would have happily ordered, drinking or not.

     
  • At 16/7/09 20:39, Blogger Sam said…

    You are right - I was sitting here for a while actually straining to try & remember the prices but I couldn't so didn't mention it in case I was incorrect. But I should have just asked you - I think you are right. I thought it might have been $3 and $5 or $4 & $6 and lost confidence in my recollection so omitted the info.

    Despite his initial reaction he did the Alembic really proud - that was a great mocktail, probably my best to date.

     
  • At 16/7/09 20:43, Blogger Sam said…

    PS My hope is that every bar tender worth their salt should be able to pull out a mocktail or an interesting no alcohol drink. It's my new campaign. I might as well try and ask for such things, so places realise there might be a market, I've got nothing to lose.

     
  • At 16/7/09 22:51, Blogger Mona said…

    I don't live in San Fransisco, but cool post anyway. It never occurred to me to try to order a non-alcoholic cocktail (I don't drink for religious reasons). I'll definitely have to see what I can find around here.

     
  • At 17/7/09 06:16, Blogger Zoomie said…

    This is such a great idea - to ask for a mocktail when I don't feel like drinking alcohol! Why didn't I think of that? I'm so tired of "Shirley Temples" - hope you can find lots of other great mocktail places as you continue your quest!

     
  • At 17/7/09 08:24, Blogger drspam said…

    hi sam! osha thai in glen park has a few pretty tasty mocktails. they're still waiting on their liquor license, so they decided to get creative. my "mojito" was so tasty i hope they keep it on the menu after they finally get their license. i wonder if other osha thai locations do this...

    good idea for a post!

     
  • At 17/7/09 08:36, Blogger Sam said…

    Thanks for the tip, DrSpam. As time goes on, I think I'll be finding that the "Nohito" as it is often called will be the most ubiquitous mocktail of them all. I already had one at the Foreign Cnema and Oola in the last few weeks.

     
  • At 18/7/09 10:59, Blogger Marc said…

    Thanks for starting this series. When I ask for non-alcoholic options at fine restaurants, the offered choices are almost always boring. It would be great to see our talented bartenders and chefs turn a little bit of their creativity to mocktails. There are so many possibilities in the realms of fruit syrups, herbs, spices and other flavorings.

     
  • At 18/7/09 20:32, Blogger Sam said…

    Thanks Marc - I am behind your comment 100%. I am going to keep asking for interesting non-alcoholic drinks.

     
  • At 20/7/09 20:09, Blogger Catherine said…

    Millennium has some interesting non-alcohol combos. I feel strongly that any decent restaurant should have enticing non-alcoholic offerings.

     
  • At 28/7/09 12:02, Blogger lyndaellen said…

    I had a great mocktail at Beretta when I asked for ginger ale; the bartender created some lime-mint-ginger concoction that was one of the best drinks I've ever had.

     
  • At 28/7/09 12:03, Blogger lyndaellen said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 28/7/09 13:01, Blogger Sam said…

    Hi LyndaEllen

    I had a Hibiscus Cooler at Beretta which is one of the most memorable non alcoholic drinks I've had in the city, too.

     
  • At 29/7/09 07:03, Anonymous Erin said…

    When I was pregnant I would order fancy cocktails from the menu and ask the bartender to replace the vodka (or whatever) with seltzer. It definitely scratched that "I want something I wouldn't make at home" itch better than yet another seltzer with lemon.

     
  • At 15/8/09 14:55, Blogger Marc said…

    The very long drink menu at Forbidden Island in Alameda has quite a few marked as "can be made non-alcoholic." I tried the "Monkeypod" -- which features tamarind, coconut and lime -- last weekend and thought it was tasty, if a bit on the sweet and heavy side.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home