Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Alembic Bar - Haight - San Francisco

Love at First Sip

This morning I woke up (in my own bed, thankfully) to find myself still dressed in yesterday's wardrobe. I am not implying I wear old-fashioned clothes although these days I probably do, I am simply sharing with you the embarrassing piece of news that apparently I fell asleep last night without first disrobing. I blame this squarely on the influence of The Alembic Bar.

The Alembic Bar was love at first sip. True love. You know - the kind of love that will probably kill you in the end. Hangar one raspberry vodka, Brachetto and Nocino anyone? How did The Alembic Bar know to put all my favourite things in one two glasses? A while later The Alembic was bewitching me with something tall and refreshing containing Elderflower liqueur. To be absolutely certain I wouldn't forget how good it tasted I had to have a second glass. Then for a brief moment I tried something less memorable from their official menu before The Alembic Bar finished me off with Sexual Chocolate (our her name, not theirs), a burning potion containing Creme de Cacao, Makers Mark and Tabasco. One certainly wasn't enough, it was extremely moreish. It's all The Alembic Bar's fault.

To help mop up the liqueur The Alembic Bar offer several small plates of delicious food too. Everything I tried was bar food beyond compare. The spaetzle with bacon, rabbit and other good stuff was my favourite, but the stout braised oxtails and the local wild salmon cured three ways were excellent too.

The last thing I recall about yesterday evening is me bending the ear of the poor bartender who had come around to the customer side of the bar to sit down and enjoy a quiet bevvy, no doubt. Instead he had to suffer me gabbing on about who knows what, England I expect, and I am pretty certain I was talking absolute rubbish by this point. He was very polite, I think, maybe he didn't mind humouring me for a second there, probably because I was, after all, living half-comatose evidence that he is extremely good at his job.




This review was a first impression.


The Alembic Bar
1725 Haight Street)
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415) 666-0822


© 2007 Sam Breach
The Alembic Bar - Haight - San Francisco

12 Comments:

  • At 19/7/07 21:26, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Between your post and Catherine's, sounds like I missed a real bender. Next time.

     
  • At 19/7/07 22:02, Blogger Barbara said…

    a good night then?

     
  • At 19/7/07 23:01, Blogger Dagny said…

    Sounds like my kind of place.

     
  • At 20/7/07 03:13, Blogger Beccy said…

    On a work night as well? How are you feeling now?

     
  • At 20/7/07 05:05, Blogger ChrisB said…

    Hmm this is not something a mother wishes to read about her daughter what will people think!!

     
  • At 20/7/07 06:01, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like my kind of bar. Around here if it says "bar" it will include the following:
    1. scantily clad or tight t-shirt wearing servers
    2. Music at least a decade old
    3. A bunch of guys in stetsons and ostrich skin boots. (I'm not complaining about that part, I own ostrich skin boots and a stetson myself, but for a California raised Oklahoman, I could stand a bit more Bay Area atmosphere)

     
  • At 20/7/07 08:43, Blogger Sam said…

    oh mum - I was just trying to be funny. The real reason I fell asleep with my clothes on was because I was just really tired because i have been working so hard.

     
  • At 20/7/07 08:45, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the post...i have been wanting to give the alembic a go! Sounds like you had quiet a go and on a work night! Ouch.

     
  • At 20/7/07 10:20, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One must always have "moreish" of a drink called Sexual Chocolate!

     
  • At 20/7/07 12:41, Blogger william anderson said…

    They used to have a whiskey and tobasco sauce drink that was nice. I would walk there all the way from where we live just to get that drink.

     
  • At 20/7/07 12:47, Blogger Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic said…

    Oh, my lil' Drunky McFunky, I didn't invent the name, I just quoted the movie, "Coming to America," which must be where Alembic they got it.

     
  • At 21/7/07 14:12, Blogger Catherine said…

    The drinks on the menu look very appealing. I want to try this place (guess I'll need to book a driver).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home