Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Fresh Garbanzo Beans & Pimientos de Padrón

Pan Fried, Browned, Blistered and Sprinkled with Salt, perfect company for a Summer Aperitif

picture photograph of pan roasted blistered fresh garbanzo beans and padrons  2007 copyright of sam breach http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/

This recipe from Happy Quail Farms, Californian guardians of the Pimientos de Padrón (Fresh Garbanzo Beans from Short Night Farm, my addition)

Pimientos de Padrón
Fresh Garbanzo Beans still in their pods
Olive Oil
Coarse Salt

Take a pan and pour enough oil to generously cover the bottom of the frying pan. Turn the heat up on the burner. When the olive oil starts to sizzle throw the garbanzo pods and the peppers in whole. When the peppers start having small white blisters and the garbanzos are golden, they are ready. Remove from the pan and place them in a serving dish. Sprinkle with coarse salt (I used Maldon). Hold the pepper by the stem and bite. Pop open the Garbanzo pods and gorge on the sweet little beans within. Slippery, slurpy, salty, sometimes hot and sometimes not. Happy, happy, joy, joy!



Local Resources

Happy Quail Farms
Short Night Farm
Brandon Eats Pimientos de Padrón
Culinary Russian Roulette by Chez Pim and on YouTube
Thanks to Cooking with Amy for suggesting I fry instead of steam the garbanzos.

Archives
2005 | My beloved Salter Digital Scales (now deceased and usurped by newer Salter scales)

© 2007 Sam Breach at "Becks & Posh", becksposhnosh.blogspot.com This RSS Feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this material in your news aggregator, or at the aforementioned url, the site you are looking at might be guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact becks.posh.food.blog[AT]gmail[DOT]com to report any suspected violations. Thank you.
Fresh Garbanzo Beans & Pimientos de Padrón

18 Comments:

  • At 26/6/07 23:46, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is nothng better than fresh chickpeas. Looks amazing! Thanks.

     
  • At 27/6/07 00:28, Blogger Pille said…

    I've never had fresh chickpeas, but tried Pimientos de Padrón in London back in April. Really loved them - so much that Johanna (The Passionate Cook) later sent me another packet by mail :-)

     
  • At 27/6/07 02:17, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't believe you can get both fresh chickpeas and pimientos de Padrón. Such luck.

     
  • At 27/6/07 05:02, Blogger Figs, Bay, Wine said…

    I have never had fresh garbanzos, and they're suddenly all I can think about...this looks absolutely divine!

     
  • At 27/6/07 05:54, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    Wonderful way to prepare both of these ingredients; looks wonderful. Unfortunately my peppers and my fresh fava beans both got left in the refrigerator in the hotel, sigh. I hope someone got to eat them and they didn't just get thrown away.

     
  • At 27/6/07 08:16, Blogger Lisa the Waitress said…

    I'm jealous! Have only had frozen green chickpeas. I'm going to have to get one of my farmers on this project.

    Lovely description & photos!

     
  • At 27/6/07 09:44, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I adore pimientos de padron. A couple years ago we had some with Cam & Anita. The mild ones were sweet and floral. The hot ones were positively volcanic. Mmm.

     
  • At 27/6/07 10:36, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Fresh garbanzos! I'll fight you for them! :D

    PS: Audible groan here, at 10:35 a.m.

     
  • At 27/6/07 10:46, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I discovered fresh garbanzos for the first time last year. I love them! What a great idea to roast them with the peppers. Yum.

     
  • At 27/6/07 11:32, Blogger Almost Vegetarian said…

    Good heavens, Sam, those look good. Of course, your great photos always do the food justice, but these, these, well now I'm hungry. Hungry for garbanzo beans as well as for Saturday when I can hit the ferry plaza market.

    Cheers!

     
  • At 27/6/07 11:45, Blogger Amy Sherman said…

    I'm glad you got the last basket and that they came out so well, especially since I suggested pan frying them. I like your idea of pairing them with the peppers. Nice nibbles!

     
  • At 27/6/07 15:14, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow! How fabulous! I only discovered pimenton de padron two months ago but am absolutely in love. However, when I did more research, I learned they are nearly impossible to get in the States. I'm so jealous. Like those gorgeous artichokes you get in Cali. this just makes me sob that I am living on the wrong coast.

     
  • At 27/6/07 17:33, Blogger Jennifer Maiser said…

    Crap - the Short Night garbanzos are in???? And I was thinking of skipping the FPFM this weekend. Gah.

     
  • At 27/6/07 17:34, Blogger Jennifer Maiser said…

    And p.s. -- next time could you not talk the garbanzos so much? Play em down a bit. There's not enough to go around. ;)

     
  • At 28/6/07 07:34, Blogger Andreea said…

    great post, and i bet they must be great with aperitifs. problem is i have no idea where to find the one or the other here in brussels ...

     
  • At 28/6/07 12:48, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooh i love padron peppers! last time i made them i swear i ate a whole bowl by myself. it's a great snack or appetizer.

     
  • At 29/6/07 06:59, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ooh! Sounds like a lovely and simple recipe, the best kind! Cannot wait to try this one out!

     
  • At 4/5/08 18:11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Slippery, slurpy, salty, sometimes hot and sometimes not. Happy, happy, joy, joy!"

    I've lost my appetite!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home