Friday, September 15, 2006

Donna Hay Inspired Breakfast Tart

for Hay Hay It's Donna Day!
donna hay inspired recipe for photograph picture of breakfast tart with bacon mushroom tomato and egg

There is an online event, started by a blogger I am very fond of, Barbara at Winos and Foodies called Hay Hay Its Donna Day. The event is inspired by Australian food editor Donna Hay. I first discovered Donna when I picked up a copy of her magazine, issue 11 a few years ago. I was struck by the very pretty, fresh food photography in the magazine and so I had no qualms asking for a subscription when my father asked me what I would like for Christmas one year. I have been receiving Donna Hay's magazine quarterly ever since. This is not my first attempt with a Donna Hay Savoury Tart - here is one I prepared earlier.

I don't think I managed to take part in a Hay Hay Donna Hay! event until late July when I was taking part in the Blogathon. That month's theme, chosen by Bron Marshall, was Brilliant Bruschetta. You can see what I made here. There is a slightly competitive aspect to this event because a winner is chosen from all of the entries who goes on to host and choose the theme for the following event. Last month's winner, Tami from Running with Tweezers, decided upon the theme of savoury tart for today's deadline.

I completely forgot about the event until yesterday when I hastily tried to throw together a quick tart for my lunch. Donna's magazines nearly always make at least one or two nods at the tart per issue. However, I didn't want to have to go and buy any special ingredients and resolved to make my entry, not from any of her particular instructions, but only from the wares I had in my kitchen already. Issue 20 has an egg and bacon breakfast pie which was enough inspiration to give me the idea for my own very Breakfast Tart.

Donna Hay's recipes are seldom difficult. In fact, they are simple. But she inspires beauty in creation and this is the element I tried to draw from her the most. I wanted to make my tart look pretty as well as taste good.

Less haste, more speed is something I should have remembered. My first attempt, yesterday, was P-I-T-I-F-U-L!, seriously. When you are in a hurry, it appears you are apt to lose your mind. Don't cut corners and cheat when making puff pastry. Make sure you use icey cold water and don't skip the part in the recipe where it tells you to let the dough rest in the fridge between folds. When baking blind, make sure you leave the pastry in for long enough, especially if your topping ingredients don't need much cooking time. Don't be impatient. Don't be lazy either - half an uncooked mushroom shoved in a pie will come out watery and tasteless. Don't do it. Even if you cook your bacon to a nice crisp in advance, if you bury it under an egg and then cook it some more it will lose its crispiness and become tough and chewy. Even if it is the best bacon in the world. Don't overcook your egg - A runny yolk is far more impressive and tasty.

Today, I was much more careful whilst making my Breakfast Tart. I made up some quick puff pastry using the recipe from Nina at Sweet Napa. I only wanted to make a little tart for one, so I used quarter measurements. I brushed the tart shell with beaten egg and whilst it was in the oven browning, I fried up some Fatted Calf bacon with some sliced mushrooms, draining them of excess fat. I cut up some Balakian Farms tomatoes too.

When the tart was nearly ready, I arranged the prepped ingredients on top and popped it back in the oven for just a few minutes for the egg to set everso slightly and for the tomato to heat through. I garnished with a little basil and served.

The topping was a hit. I need to revisit the pastry though. It was a little crispy and cracker like, rather than puffy as I'd hoped.

Running with Tweezers plans to post a Roundup of all the entries on September 22nd so please check in with her then to see the delights prepared by other bloggers from around the world. And don't forget! Breakfast is good at any time of day.



PS. Yesterday's post, has attracted several heated comments, which I will reply to in time when I have had the chance to prepare something other than a hotheaded, off the cuff, reactionary and ill-thought out response.

PPS. I am experiencing a little delay with the WWB25 Champagne roundup as several posts need to be edited to include the event details if they are to be included in the round up. I will try my hardest to complete it before the end of the weekend. If not, it will be ready on Monday at the latest.

Archive | 2004: Almost 2 years ago to the day - funnily enough - trying to give my mother some savoury tart-making tips. My blogging, my cooking skills, my styling and my photography have come a long way since then!

| | | |
Donna Hay Inspired Breakfast Tart

24 Comments:

  • At 15/9/06 15:57, Blogger Alpineberry Mary said…

    I love the idea of breakfast on a tart!

     
  • At 15/9/06 16:27, Blogger Anita (Married... with dinner) said…

    oh, oh! It's a little English fry-up on a tart shell. I love it!

     
  • At 15/9/06 17:48, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh that's beautiful Sam. You should frame it and hang it one the wall.

     
  • At 15/9/06 18:46, Blogger Haalo said…

    That's a classic!

     
  • At 15/9/06 22:56, Blogger Beccy said…

    Looks delicious think I'll try and make it!

     
  • At 16/9/06 00:33, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What can I say except wish I could come for breakfast

     
  • At 16/9/06 03:57, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't say I'm a big fan of Donnay Hay... Personally I prefer the much more down to earth Delicious, by the ABC.

     
  • At 16/9/06 03:57, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had to laugh when I saw that picture - how utterly perfect for a breakfast dish! That'd be the perfect thing to impress any brunch guests :)

     
  • At 16/9/06 06:27, Blogger Papilles et Pupilles said…

    What a wonderful picture ! Amazing !

     
  • At 16/9/06 07:07, Blogger Catherine said…

    now that is gorgeous!

     
  • At 16/9/06 07:45, Blogger L Vanel said…

    I sure wish I had that for breakfast. Mmm.

     
  • At 16/9/06 09:35, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Sam, that is simply gorgeous, really!

    I'd vote for you!

     
  • At 16/9/06 10:15, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said…

    A true work of art! Absolutely love it. I don't love puff pastry so much, though, but I am thinking this idea might work well with pizza dough--or even a biscuit-type dough.

     
  • At 16/9/06 10:36, Blogger Dolores said…

    Seems like a lot of folks had their fair share of obstacles with this iteration of Donna Day. At least your oven held out... :)

    Looks yummy - can't wait to try it!

     
  • At 17/9/06 09:37, Blogger wheresmymind said…

    Great tart organization!

     
  • At 17/9/06 10:20, Blogger s'kat said…

    All that needs is a strong, black cup o'joe, and nice little bellini.

    And you even made your own puff pastry... Fred is one lucky gent. Bravo!

     
  • At 17/9/06 10:51, Blogger Sam said…

    mary - i think i like the idea of breakfast anywhere - or any time!

    anita - I guess it is kind of english, i didnt really notice. But it is missing a nice sausage.

    Barbara - i keep meaning to print some of my pictures - it eould be fun to have them in the kitchen I guess. we'll see.

    haalo - and oh so easy peasy!

    Beccy - i think the pastry needs practice. You could use ready made.

    sher - I tore into it with gusto and then gazed upon the photgraphic evidence after the fact!

    mum - you can - you are only a flight away!

    tunaranch - I like delicious too. I like DH for her pictures and presentation. But do find her recipes on the simplistic side. Or else using shortcuts I dont care to use myself.

    ellie - if i had guests i would surely buy the pastry instead of trying to make it - that was the stressful part.

    P et P - trying to take as many pictures as I can in natural light before the days close in.

    Catherine - but that bacon is for real, just so you know.

    l vanel - it was a treat. today's breakfast was mashed avocado on toast with a squeeze of lemon. SLightly different concept but still delicious.

    stephanie - thank you - but you know me - the taking part is the main thing.

    farmgirl - well that's good cos my puff pastry turned out more like a cracker and a cracker is related to a biscuit, so maybe you would have liked it after all. But you don't like PUFF PASTRY! What's wrong with you girl???

    CC - I was sorrow to hear about your oven. I dont think i have had that happen (I have problems with all my other appliances - fridges cars, etc, ) but the ovens are usually ok even if they are old. touch wood.

    sorry bron, it's all long since gone.

    wmm - just as well you didnt get to see my disorganised kitchen after I'd made it.

    sk'at - haha - no he isnt! I made this and ate it all to myself when he was out at work. Ha ha ha. I am not sure it is his kind of thing anyway? He's not the breakfast sort. We'll never know.

     
  • At 17/9/06 17:11, Blogger Jen said…

    Sam this looks wonderful, definitely has my vote!

     
  • At 18/9/06 09:45, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks like we were thinking a like on this one! Your egg & bacon tart is gorgeous!

    (my feed reader appears to have been messed up this weekend, because I missed this until this morning!)

    -L

     
  • At 20/9/06 00:25, Blogger *fanny* said…

    This looks lovely Sam.

     
  • At 20/9/06 15:53, Blogger Pille said…

    Great - and pretty! - tart idea, though I'd probably cheat and use ready-made puff pastry.

     
  • At 20/9/06 19:24, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks wonderful! But hmmm... cracker-like... I wonder if maybe making 1/4 recipe prevents the pastry from forming flaky layers? Maybe because the dough gets more curled onto itself, rather than being folded into longer layers... I don't know. I'm so sorry this recipe hasn't been working out for you! I'm planning on making it when I get back to Napa to have a supply ready to go in the freezer, so I'll see how it goes.

     
  • At 21/9/06 17:33, Blogger Cate said…

    Wow, that tart is gorgeous, Sam!

     
  • At 27/9/06 20:51, Blogger ilingc said…

    oh how cute! this is a great idea. i've never thought about having a breakfast tart before.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home