Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Eggstra! Eggstra!

<br />In the Style of The Sun Newspaper<br />Lots of Silly egg puns<br /><br />A SIMMER OF HOPE<br />=================<br /><br />Are you the type to take whisks in the kitchen? <br />Eggsperiment with science and molecular gastronomy<br />to attain uneggspected results. Poach an idea from<br />Hervé This who might run fowl of traditionalists <br />with his scientific approach to cooking. Mr This has<br />cracked preconceptions by discovering that the time<br />it takes to cook an egg is less important than the<br />temperature. At home, the method of cooking at <br />an eggsact temperature is not ova easy. But don't let <br />methology runny way with you, or you'll end up fried.<br />Not being able to translate centigrade to fahrenheit<br />is no eggscuse. A 68C degree egg translates to 154F. <br />Lets get cracking...
Click picture to enlarge slightly


I couldn't help but enter Cook Sister's End of The Month Eggs on Toast Extravaganza this month. The current challenge is Tabloid Headlines. This gave me the perfect opportunity to idolize the British tabloid I admire most, The Sun. It's certainly not its politics, its topless pictures or its [lack of] intelligence, that attracts me. But it has the punniest headlines on the planet, and for that alone, I can't help but giggle at it.

When preparing my eggs this month, I was inspired by a fascinating article called Cooking for Eggheads written by Alexandra Boulat who met with French molecular gastronomist Hervé This to discover a more scientific approach to cooking an egg.

If you decide to try this at home: Take it from me, if you don't have an exacting temperature-controlled oven at your finger-tips, getting a pan of simmering pan of water to a level temperature using your sugar thermometer is not an easy task. I lost count of the number of hours it took. Eventually I managed to cook my egg at around 68C, 154F. The most amazing thing about eggs cooked by temperature rather than time, is that the white is softer than the yolk. It is quite incredible to witness and partake of an inverted version of a food we think we are familiar with. One day, but only when you are feeling very patient, you might just have to try it for yourself.




Archive Alert! On this day in 2005: Like SLudge from Shrek's Swamp: French Sorrel Soup.


| | | | | | | | |
Eggstra! Eggstra!

21 Comments:

  • At 2/8/06 11:54, Blogger Julie said…

    Sam, your tabloid is hilarious! Very funny and punny. I remember how popular those tabloid papers are in England. And there was always a naked lady on page 5 or whatever arbitrary number it was. I'm wondering how you put that cover together...photoshop?
    Cheers to eggs--both the raw and the cooked!

     
  • At 2/8/06 12:09, Blogger Alanna Kellogg said…

    Newe Albumen? I'm choking on my salad!

     
  • At 2/8/06 13:32, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    very funny this gave me a good chuckle at the end of an exhausting day

     
  • At 2/8/06 14:44, Blogger Monkey Gland said…

    Hey, the Sun is great, it's like the Beano for grown ups. With ladies with thier tops off, and football. Brill.

     
  • At 2/8/06 21:14, Blogger shuna fish lydon said…

    I take whisks in the kitchen! (and have the handshake and forearms to prove it.)

    Especially when I'm hunting wabbits.

     
  • At 3/8/06 00:26, Blogger Passionate Eater said…

    I love all the headlines and the funny (sunny) layout! The puns are hilarious and eggs-act!

     
  • At 3/8/06 00:50, Blogger Jen said…

    What a crack up! Too funny, this is eggcellent!

     
  • At 3/8/06 07:09, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know why I like the English so much! Their humour!!!

     
  • At 3/8/06 07:44, Blogger Jeanne said…

    Oh Sam, you've outdone yourself!!! That truly is a "stunna" (I nearly choked on my coffee at the egg-sucking Page 3 bit at the end...) Glad you had such a ball - and what a high standard you've set!

     
  • At 3/8/06 10:14, Blogger Dagny said…

    Love the tabloid. In college my roommate and I had to get our weekly tabloid fix based upon the most outrageous headlines.

     
  • At 3/8/06 11:17, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your yolks crack me up! Do you have a second career in mind?

     
  • At 3/8/06 14:05, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL. "The Sam"... love it!

     
  • At 3/8/06 14:20, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh groan! :-) But I hafta thank you for the chuckle today.

     
  • At 3/8/06 17:03, Blogger Greg said…

    Well done Sam! Get that tabloid to a newstand now.

     
  • At 3/8/06 20:01, Blogger cookiecrumb said…

    Ha ha ha! (Oh, somebody needs a J-O-B!)
    I read the molecular gastronomy article you linked to, and I thought how neat it would be to use my super-cool modern oven to "bake" an egg at low temperature.
    Turns out my chickenshit oven won't program at a low enough heat.

     
  • At 3/8/06 21:45, Blogger Delphine said…

    This is so much fun!
    I love it!

     
  • At 4/8/06 00:25, Blogger Alice Q. Foodie said…

    That's cute! Thanks for the link on your So Cal blog list. Ciao bella!

     
  • At 4/8/06 11:56, Blogger Sam said…

    Julie - the naked lady is on page 3 in the sun - known as the "page 3 girl", hence my allusion to "Shell-y" at the bottom of the page.

    AK - I hope it wasnt an egg salad!

    Mum - not long to go now - take it easier.

    Monky Gland - I never saw naked ladies in Beano. Two fat slags is as close as you get in a comic 'strip' no?

    Shuna - and t-shirts as well, I believe

    passionate-eater - thanks for the compliment, but it's not eggsactly difficult to hatch up some puns

    JenJen - g'day down there, and thank you!

    Bea - and we make good desserts, too, remember!

    Jeanne - thank you for giving me the opportunity. Silly poems or puns paired with eggs and I am running all over it.

    Dagny - only weekly?! You can get the sun every day except sunday. What a treat!

    Kudzu - funny you should say that.

    Shelly - oops I wwas hoping you wouldnt spot my Shell-y reference, I didnt want to infer anything about YOU!

    Sean - but those are the best of groans, no?

    Greg - Maybe I should have a weekly?

    Cookie - I felt certain your oven would be up to the experiment. Like I mentioned to you, the simmering method is extremely hard to get just so.

    Del - I hope that means you are feeling a bit better

    Bron - crazy chook, huh? Is it cocky of me to take that as a compliment?

    Alice - my pleasure.

     
  • At 4/8/06 21:43, Blogger neil said…

    Hahaha, love it. I'm going to have to figure out this visual thing, yours is so great!

     
  • At 5/8/06 05:16, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Hahahahahaha!!! I wish I'd thought of "eggstra eggstra" Well done!

    The cooking by temperature explanation is really cool. My husband often hard"boils" eggs by bringing the water to a boil and then turning the temperature down to let the eggs simmer in the hot water. The yolk does indeed get done but I've often wondered why the white was softer than when the egg is cooked in boiling water. I had previously thought it had something to do with the freshness of the eggs.

    -Elizabeth

     
  • At 15/8/06 00:27, Blogger G said…

    I bet you had a great time doing that. it was so funny to read!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home