Thursday, March 10, 2005

Thieving from Town Hall

*Please note, I have since corrected it, but when I orignally published this post I mistakenly wrote that 6 tbsp butter = 6oz. In fact, the correct amount is 3oz. Apologies for any confusion my typo may have caused.*

No, no, no, I didn't help myself to one of their pepper-grinders, I just nicked one of their recipe ideas, that's all. Think of it as being inspired.

ham scone pepper jam

From Town Hall's Warm Bakewell Biscuits with Smithfield Ham and Pepper Jam $12.50
I created a recipe for:
Sam's San Francisco-Style Cowgirl Creme Scones with Serrano Ham and Smoky Chile Jam

ham scone pepper jam

For the Scones, Ingredients:
(makes about 20)
2 cups of flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
3 oz butter (6 tablespoons)
1/3rd cup of Cowgirl Creamery Creme Fraiche
1/3rd cup of water
1 egg, beaten

Recipe Method

Preheat the oven to 450 F
Sieve the flour, baking powder and soda into a large bowl. Add salt.
Slice cold butter into small cubes. Add to the flour.
Crumb the ingredients together using the tips of your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Mix the water and cream together and then add to the flour mixture.
Mix together until a dough forms.
Knead gently.
Roll dough out to a thickness of about 1/2 an inch.
Using a small cookie-cutter, cut out rounds and place on an ungreased baking-tray.
Brush the tops with beaten egg.
Cook for 13-15 minutes until firm and golden.
Remove scones to a wire rack. Eat as soon as possible, the fresher the better.

ham scone pepper jam

Assemble:
Serve the scones butter, ham and chile jam.
Scones need butter. We used a cold, unsalted European butter.
You can use whichever butter is your favourite.
Our ham of choice would be a cured salty ham like serrano or prosciutto.
If you can get the Smithfield ham then great, but it's difficult to source here in San Francisco which is why chose the Serrano.
We were intending to make some homemade chili jam but changed our minds when we discovered Tierra's range of chili jams at the San Francisco Ferry Building Farmer's Market. The jams are $8.50 a jar. There are several options, we like the Smoky with Rojo and Chipotle chiles best.
If you want to make your own chile pepper jam, the recipe I am keen to try my hand at soon can be found here at Zarah Maria's Food & Thoughts blog.

I have made a few different scone recipes recently. This one, which I developed myself, makes really light, delicious scones. I served the scones as a mid-afternoon snack with a rose cava when some friends dropped by to check out our new pad. My friend Del requested the recipe, so this post is dedicated to her.

Read my Town Hall reviews here and here
Visit the Town Hall website here

Filed under Home Cooking and San Francisco Dining
Thieving from Town Hall

3 Comments:

  • At 12/3/05 08:46, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam This looks delicious; wish I could pop in and see your new pad.

     
  • At 12/3/05 08:56, Blogger Sam said…

    I wish you could, too, mum.
    I'd make you some scones, isn't that temptation enough to pop on a plane and just nip accross the Atlantic?

     
  • At 16/3/05 20:22, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Sam - 'the market' again (I'm dreaming of it...)! This looks so delicious! I love chilli jam, must try it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home