Saturday, July 29, 2006

I am glad I was wearing my HUGE sunglasses

because the third picture down brought tears to my eyes...

I am back home now after spending the afternoon with Foor Runner volunteers, Keith, Seth and Frank. Please give them a big applause, they do this every single week and they are a great bunch of guys! Keith is an Englishman who has lived here a long time but still retains his cheeky barrow-boy personality and Cockneyed East End accent. It was a lot of fun following him around the market as he shouts out his unique 'food gathering' chant. Like he said, I should have brought a video camera, really.

Our last stop was a brand new housing development in Mission Bay, just two blocks from the Ball Park and not far from my own home. As Keith explained it to me, the building offers housing to a range of needy citizens such as low-income families, disabled people, Aids sufferers, senior citizens and recently immigrated families as well as previously homeless people who have integrated back into the community.



We piled up all the remaining produce in their entrance-way.



Then we went upstairs to see where it was being distributed. In this building, people collect the produce and then take it back to their appartments to prepare it as they wish. As I walked out past the line of people queueing up to collect the produce, many of them uttered 'thank you' to us and that really touched me. I wish every one of you could have heard it too. Those 'thank you's were for all of you who have pledged to this good cause, to the farmers who gave their produce and to the Food Runner volunteers who give their time and make this charity possible.







Remember! Any money can pledge, even the smallest amount, will help Food Runners to stop good food going to waste and help feed the needy in San Francisco.

2006 blogathon 24 hours of blogging to raise money for food runners in san francisco on july 29th 2006


Please sponsor me to help Food Runners by Clicking here

Visit the Food Runners website.

Visit the Blogathon Website.

| | | |
I am glad I was wearing my HUGE sunglasses

2 Comments:

  • At 29/7/06 17:26, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tears to my eyes too...literally.

    What a good thing you're doing, Sam. And cheers to the Food Runner people you've been following; they do indeed deserve a huge round of applause. And lots of hugs. I wish I could hug them through my screen!

     
  • At 29/7/06 17:36, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tears here too Sam.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home